You are here

Audio issues not hearing top strings.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio issues not hearing top strings.

Postby thedoctor1971 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 pm

I have a wee YouTube channel where I play the guitar but I was using the camorder microphone for the audio along with the visual but the sound quality wasn't that great so I thought it would be a great idea to record my electric acoustic straight to my pc. I have 2 guitars with the Epiphone EJ200SCE Vintage Sunburst being my main one and a Yamaha CSF3M being my back up.

So I bought myself a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface and followed the instructions online and started up Ableton Live and then started recording myself but quickly noticed on the playback I couldn't hear the top strings.

So my neighbour brought up his amp and tried out the Epiphone and it sounded fine with the amp but we then did a recording test with me plucking each string from low E to high E and below you can see the results where the top strings have a low wavelength

We then tested out my Yahamah Guitar and you can see the results below that every string had a good wavelength.

So contacted the shop where I bought the guitar from and they said they would check it out in case there was a problem with the pickup. Got a call from them this morning saying my guitar and it's pickup was fine when they put it through the amp and there was nothing else they could do for me.

So I'm back to square one again as of tonight I tried recording my guitar again and still can't hear the top strings so this time I did a test with audacity and the same results came up again as you can see the top E has such a low frequency to the other strings.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do next so any advice or help would be most appreciated.
thedoctor1971

Re: Audio issues not hearing top strings.

Postby innerchord » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:02 pm

There is an inconsistency here. You say:

thedoctor1971 wrote:So my neighbour brought up his amp and tried out the Epiphone and it sounded fine with the amp ...
So the guitar output is "fine". That is the same signal Audacity is recording.
The waveform from Audacity does show a lower output on the top string, but how did it sound? It should sound the same as it did through the amp.

Any other differences look like picking strength to me. You can see that the Yamaha waveform is not very even, either.
innerchord
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:11 pm

That guitar AFAIK has 2 outputs, so check if both outputs give you the same result.
The EQ on the pre-amp- is everything flat, i.e. the EQ pots at 12 o'clock, and the phase button out?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby thedoctor1971 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Thank you for the replies.

The EQ pots were all at 12 o'clock, and the phase button was out. I wasn't sure if I could post the .wav file to let you hear what it sounds like (if I can then how do you post .wav files in a thread) as it doesn't sound the same coming from the amp.

I do appreciate the feedback.
thedoctor1971

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Try a phone recording of the amplified sound and another of the DI into the interface then compare the two?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........