You are here

Headphones for Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 pm

anna-marie music wrote:I'm doing research about the best headphones for tracking/recording... what do you all think about the Audio Technica M50x headphones?

SOS review
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27902
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:18 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
anna-marie music wrote:I'm doing research about the best headphones for tracking/recording... what do you all think about the Audio Technica M50x headphones?

SOS review

I knew there was a good reason why I was happy to buy mine mail order :headbang:

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10250
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:26 am

Sam Spoons wrote:...I have HD25 2s and for checking mixes/listening AKG K702s which are open back so not good for tracking.

I use my srh840s for tracking, Senn 650s for mixing and my hd25s for pointing at my head and saying, "I can't hear you, the isolation on these is excellent, you'll have to ask your Mum".
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 am

MOF wrote:
In my experience you have to be a bit careful with sweeping statements like this.

Whereas the term 'Hiss' implies electronic noise to you, and therefore potential gain structure issues, a typical novice is often unable to recognise and distinguish between electronic noise and acoustic ambient noise -- the latter often being dominant in bedroom recordings.

You’re right Hugh, I associate ‘hiss’ with electronic noise.

In my experience, not too many rooms "hiss"...
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:56 am

I have some DT250s but the drivers seem a little fragile, I replaced a failed one (expensive for what they appear to be) and then replaced the headphones after a second failure.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have some DT250s but the drivers seem a little fragile, I replaced a failed one (expensive for what they appear to be) and then replaced the headphones after a second failure.

My 250 ohm DT250's have been fine for the last 20 years. They were used in the commercial studio for the first few years which means they would have been subjected to all kinds of levels although they're treated more gently these days.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9465
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Update: I bought what I thought were the Sennheiser HD-25 Pro's yesterday... the local music store instead sold me the "HD-25 Light" version. Will these still work for recording/tracking?
anna-marie music
Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Yes they'll work just fine. But the quality is (apparently, I haven't listened to them) not as good as the HD25 Pro version, and they may be less convenient/comfortable/secure with the Y cable and single headband. I'd expect them to have been a reasonable bit cheaper then the Pro version so if they sound ok (bearing in mind you'll probably end up with something different for mixing and listening to music) then base you decision on how they sound to you.

I'm assuming they sold them to you as the Light version and at an appropriate price? If you asked to buy the Pro version then I would definitely take them to task about the deal.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes they'll work just fine. But the quality is (apparently, I haven't listened to them) not as good as the HD25 Pro version, and they may be less convenient/comfortable/secure with the Y cable and single headband. I'd expect them to have been a reasonable bit cheaper then the Pro version so if they sound ok (bearing in mind you'll probably end up with something different for mixing and listening to music) then base you decision on how they sound to you.

I'm assuming they sold them to you as the Light version and at an appropriate price? If you asked to buy the Pro version then I would definitely take them to task about the deal.

The salesperson got them off the shelf and handed them to me... and I didn't even notice the "light" on the box at first, until I got home. So it was probably a lack of judgement on my part.

They're not bad-sounding headphones, but for recording, they're not the best (I have a pair of Sony headphones from a few years ago that are virtually the same as these-- only the plug is slightly different so it wouldn't work for monitoring in the interface, otherwise I would have just used those instead of buying new ones). So I'm going to phone the store later and ask if I can exchange them... if I can't exchange them due to COVID or whatnot, then I'll try to make them work somehow.... but long story short, I feel defeated at the moment LOL!
anna-marie music
Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm

TBF If you asked for HD25 Pro and he gave you HD25 Light he's at fault and they should exchange them whatever the C19 situation (three days and they're safe from C19 anyway).

What is different about your Sony's? If they are a 3.5mm jack (as in a smart phone or iPod) instead of ¼", adapters are cheap and easily available.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:TBF If you asked for HD25 Pro and he gave you HD25 Light he's at fault and they should exchange them whatever the C19 situation (three days and they're safe from C19 anyway).

What is different about your Sony's? If they are a 3.5mm jack (as in a smart phone or iPod) instead of ¼", adapters are cheap and easily available.

I have an adapter, but it's a TRS plug. The Sony headphones (which indeed are a 3.5mm jack; I used them for my phone for the longest time) are TRRS.
anna-marie music
Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Re: Headphones for Recording

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Have you tried it? It should still work fine, you just won't be able to use the microphone on them* (which you don't need for recording/mixing/listening).

* The second 'R' is the mic connection.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous