You are here

Recording Studios Are... Pointless / Essential !

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording Studios Are... Pointless / Essential !

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:36 pm

I can only speak for myself, but the fact I never know what the PA will be like is the very reason I take my own IEMs with me everywhere!
That would be what I’d do if I was gigging.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:56 pm

I fancy giving myself a brief, to record mix and master a complete album in two days.
Good luck with that. If you’re being serious then I suggest you make sure you are extremely well rehearsed, don’t suffer from Red Light Fever and don’t have a lot of parts to play.
Fourteen tracks (typically on old style LPs) times three minutes@ duration times the number of tracks on the multitrack, let’s say ten and you’re up to seven hours.
Factoring in setting up, rehearsals for levels and establishing a good headphone mix, listening back to takes, comping the best bits and I reckon your first day is taken up with recording.
Mixing fourteen tracks and then mastering them will take more than a day unless your expectations are no more than rough mixes.
I get the impression you’d be doing this on your own. Even with a group you’d be surprised at how long it takes. Best to take in a DAW project, do that synth line at home first then maybe re-amp it in the studio and use their gear to re-do some parts using their better microphones and acoustics.
I still think you’ll need more time to mix and master though. You could have a break between the two days and get the mixing done at home, then fine tune in the studio.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:17 pm

MOF wrote:
I fancy giving myself a brief, to record mix and master a complete album in two days.
Good luck with that. If you’re being serious then I suggest you make sure you are extremely well rehearsed, don’t suffer from Red Light Fever and don’t have a lot of parts to play.

I think much of Tony's music is improvised classical music. While I've not done any improvised classical pieces, I've recorded and mixed one or two albums in a day. Jazz is a good example of a style of music where everything is live and the mix is fairly obvious. I've also had bands come into the studio and play pretty much live with just a quick mix afterwards.

More common when I was running a small commercial studio was to have a band come in and record all the basic tracks on one day and then do the final overdubs and mix another day.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:44 pm

More common when I was running a small commercial studio was to have a band come in and record all the basic tracks on one day and then do the final overdubs and mix another day.
And then the mastering? It can be done, as you say James. I didn’t know what style Tony’s music was and when he mentioned taking in a synthesizer I assumed overdubs, which all take time.
Back when I used to book studio time it was one song per day. Amazing how the time flies by.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Tony explained at length a while back that he doesn't believe mastering is necessary for his music anyway, so that'll save some time! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Sorry - three pages of posts and still I can't find any details of how to subscribe to "Mega Carp"!! Come on chaps - fingers out!!!

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Tony explained at length a while back that he doesn't believe mastering is necessary for his music anyway, so that'll save some time! :lol:
He must have changed his mind Hugh. The result of persuasive SOS forum exchanges. ;)
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:25 pm

Dave B wrote:Sorry - three pages of posts and still I can't find any details of how to subscribe to "Mega Carp"!! Come on chaps - fingers out!!!

:D

Perhaps this will do instead?

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:A common attitude! I love studios and like you I would love to use them more often than I do (still, I like recording lead guitar parts at home, but that's because of the process involved, which involves a lot of fiddling til I get something I like.. and that's best done alone). Still my drummer positively hates the idea of going into a studio and record with onlooking strangers. I'm the only person allowed to record him!

It's a common issue. I'd actually made a post on my blog on similar lines as Sam's a few months ago... minus the final plug of course! :D

That’s done it, I’m booking myself into a studio today.
It may actually jump start me into working and recording in a different way, and give me focus, and an aim.
So which one? I quite fancy that lightship on the Thames, whatever, it has to have a good location, a good grand piano, and a sympathetic engineer, I may take one synth, I fancy giving myself a brief, to record mix and master a complete album in two days.

Way to go! Not too familiar with studios in London (I've seen the outside of British Grove but nobody asked me in :D), but there's two things that matter imho..

One, you must like the people there and vice-versa. It's all about the feel.
Two, if you can afford it, it's better to use a "proper studio" (i.e. purpose built) as opposite to a repurposed room (which usually is sonically no better than one you can re-purpose at home).

The first thing is most important I think... It would be different if it were a job and there was a label involved - they would cover the costs and the studio people would only offer a service. But when you're paying out of your own money, it's different..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 pm

CS70 wrote:Most things are easy if you know how to do them.

That's classic. :-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:49 pm

MOF wrote:
Good luck with that.

Well if you know the material and the engineers are good - one day of tracking is more than enough. When we rehearse the standard set, we go thru all of it in about two hours, and there's plenty songs to make an album or two (even if the name's probably gonna be "poutporri", giving my writing tastes... :D).. if the room was set up in advance, there would be zero problem of recording a couple takes per song in a day.

The tricks as you say is to be well rehearsed. Or to completely improvise! :D

If the playing is good, mixing is a little more than balancing the faders. The result would have a live feeling - not the hyperproduced stuff that goes these days - but many classic albums were cut that way.

And if Arpangel is alone, it's not hard to make a mix of one! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Bill Nelson, ex-BeBop Deluxe, recorded, mixed and mastered his Practically Wired album at Fairview Studios in a day, I believe. Composed most of the songs on the day...
Forum Admin

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Bill Nelson, ex-BeBop Deluxe, recorded, mixed and mastered his Practically Wired album at Fairview Studios in a day, I believe. Composed most of the songs on the day...
If you’re correct, especially regarding the composing aspect, then that’s mighty impressive, personally I don’t buy it. The Beatles ‘Please please me’ album was recorded in a day, tracks they knew well, and mixing took place afterwards.
I recorded at Fairview many years ago because it had a Yamaha CS80, an afternoon session using my pre-programmed TR606 drum machine as well. I did just one track and a rough mix. I seem to remember I was well rehearsed, some time was spent with the engineer getting the sounds I wanted on the CS80.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm

MOF wrote:
If you’re correct, especially regarding the composing aspect, then that’s mighty impressive, personally I don’t buy it. The Beatles ‘Please please me’ album was recorded in a day, tracks they knew well, and mixing took place afterwards.
I recorded at Fairview many years ago because it had a Yamaha CS80, an afternoon session using my pre-programmed TR606 drum machine as well. I did just one track and a rough mix. I seem to remember I was well rehearsed, some time was spent with the engineer getting the sounds I wanted on the CS80.

Why did I think it was a day? Just did a quick check of the 1995 SOS article on Wayback Machine (article takes a while to open) and it clearly states:

Code: Select all
Practically Wired, aptly subtitled 'Or How I Became Guitarboy', is a guitar orientated exorcism recorded within a self-imposed time limit of 14 days at Bill's favoured Fairview studio in Hull, England, at a cost of only £2,500. Was there really no pre-production involved?

"I had the concept, as it were, and a list of titles. And I'd made some rough notes alongside these titles, like 'this should incorporate Duanne Eddy and Jimi Hendrix' or 'this should have surf snare drum' or whatever. So I had a kind of map but no music worked out at all.

My apologies for misleading.
Forum Admin

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Just slightly off-topic, I reckon Sam is having an absolute ball making these videos. He really looks as if he's enjoying himself. More power to you!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

PreviousNext