You are here

Recording Studios Are... Pointless / Essential !

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording Studios Are... Pointless / Essential !

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:17 pm

MOF wrote:And then the mastering?

What mastering? ;) We just ran off a few cassette copies at the end of the session from the master tape and the band would often have us run off more cassettes during downtime in the days following the session. Sometimes the band didn't even take the master tape which is why I've got a few shelves full of tapes in the garage. If it was going to be released on vinyl then any mastering would have been up to the cutting engineer.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Why did I think it was a day? Just did a quick check of the 1995 SOS article on Wayback Machine (article takes a while to open) and it clearly states:

Practically Wired (was) recorded within a self-imposed time limit of 14 days at Bill's favoured Fairview studio in Hull, England

That’s more like it. :D An interesting article, I wonder if he’s gone fully computerised these days?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 am

This is difficult, I’m not finding any decent studios in my area with a bloomin piano, one owner said to me...

"yes, it's a shame, but I had to get rid of my piano, no one wanted to use it, they’ve all got Midi keyboards theses days, it’s a pity as I love miking up a real piano"

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 am

If I recall correctly, you're fairly happy with the sound in your room? Could you pay someone to come to you instead?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:28 am

blinddrew wrote:If I recall correctly, you're fairly happy with the sound in your room? Could you pay someone to come to you instead?

Could do, but the whole point of this is for a change of atmosphere and scenery, may seem a bit pointless, but I think it would be good, also having an engineer, to get feedback, new ideas maybe.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Code: Select all
at a cost of only £2,500

Sign of the times! I could count on the fingers of one hand the musician friends who would be willing to spend "only" £2,500 on recording these days..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby RichardT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm

CS70 wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:
at a cost of only £2,500

Sign of the times! I could count on the fingers of one hand the musician friends who would be willing to spend "only" £2,500 on recording these days..

What’s more with inflation it’s more like £5,000
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:31 pm

What’s more with inflation it’s more like £5,000
And people complain about spending £5k on a Mac Pro too. My Atari 1040 plus monitor and Cubase must have been around that cost in today’s money.
I did suggest on one SOS forum thread that a hybrid approach would suit a lot of us. Pre-production in the home studio, recording at a studio using their better mic’s, acoustics etc then bring it back to do comping, editing, mixing etc then back to the studio to check/finesse the mixes and then master there or elsewhere.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Arpangel wrote:Recording studios are necessary, I’d use them all the time if I could afford to, I only record at home under duress.

Pro studios are necessary for many people, but not for some. I'd use pro studios if three conditions obtained:

* I had the money

* I was ready/rehearsed

* I had a producer or someone else whose judgement I could trust

I'm lucky that I don't have enough money, because in the past I've often NOT been ready/rehearsed enough plus I HAVEN'T had a second trustworthy opinion available, all of which has meant I've regularly had to redo stuff that I thought was in the can.

Long story short, pro studios are great if you're pro yourself. Until then, best do it at home.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's the L'Oreal test.
It's a great experience, and having the freedom to just concentrate on the music and not everything else is great...
... but are you worth it?
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 pm

CS70 wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:
at a cost of only £2,500

Just thinking about it - a third of that cost could well be tape. I've just transferred the multitrack tapes for an independent album release and realised that they would have cost around £800 when they were recorded in the 80's.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby awjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 am

blinddrew wrote:Yeah, it's the L'Oreal test.
It's a great experience, and having the freedom to just concentrate on the music and not everything else is great...
;)

I think my stuff is worth it, but for me it's a matter of is it ready and can I afford it. I put way more time into rehearsal these days so that when I hit record, what I capture is smooth, ripe, polished. I find that the more I practise, the more freedom I have when I play. Instead of concentrating on getting it right, I just sit easy in the song, if you know what I mean. If I *could* afford it, I would do it, because I wouldn't be wasting my money.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:36 am

awjoe wrote:
;)

I think my stuff is worth it, but for me it's a matter of is it ready and can I afford it. I put way more time into rehearsal these days so that when I hit record, what I capture is smooth, ripe, polished. I find that the more I practise, the more freedom I have when I play. Instead of concentrating on getting it right, I just sit easy in the song, if you know what I mean. If I *could* afford it, I would do it, because I wouldn't be wasting my money.
Makes perfect sense to me.
As does the hybrid model MOF talked about above as well. I think we're in a bit of a pendulum moment though:
- In 'the old days' everything had to be done in a studio.
- Now the pendulum has swung the other way and you 'can' do everything at home.
- But the happy middle ground is probably somewhere in between where you follow that hybrid and really use that studio time for the things that will make the most difference.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm

I saw this on instagram and it gave me a good chuckle. Especially the fishing magazine bit... :)
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby awjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 pm

blinddrew wrote:
awjoe wrote:
;)

Makes perfect sense to me.
As does the hybrid model MOF talked about above as well. I think we're in a bit of a pendulum moment though:
- In 'the old days' everything had to be done in a studio.
- Now the pendulum has swung the other way and you 'can' do everything at home.
- But the happy middle ground is probably somewhere in between where you follow that hybrid and really use that studio time for the things that will make the most difference.

And that makes sense to me. In a way, I suppose I used that model on the occasions when I paid to have albums mastered. Your stuff and my stuff is not so many miles apart, sound-wise. If I asked you to hazard a guess about which of the following - recording, mixing, mastering - would most likely make the biggest difference, would you hazard that guess or reach for the 'it depends'?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext