You are here

Hardware interface for Reaper.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Hardware interface for Reaper.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:04 am

Been mixer-less and still not missing it. But I need a hardware mixer for my DAW, so I can actually mix all of the inputs of my sound card live while recording. I don’t want to go back to an external mixer, as it would have to have at least 8 group out's, and direct outputs are normally pre-fade and pre-EQ, plus, it’ll be huge, all in all, I can’t go down that road again.
This control surface thing is a mystery to me, I just need something that’s small, and that has a maximum of about 8 faders, that’s all, it needs to work with Reaper, and preferably work with Mac and PC.
I can’t make a mouse work for multiple track mixing, live, it’s just not possible.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Hardware interface for Reaper.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 am

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:07 pm

You can also add the Behringer X-Touch to that list. I use one with Reaper.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Softube Fader works well for me, but probably not worth it unless you want the extra functionality that comes with it.

Also using Icon Platform M+ at the studio, and it works well too.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:24 pm

I use a bcf2000 but they're pretty rare these days. The x-touch is the replacement and has some notable improvements.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks, it’s the BCF2000 then, blimey, job done!

All those others in the list Hugh, they look scary, complicated, and expensive, three qualities that don’t inspire me.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:54 pm

:oops: Slight Oops... As Drew has pointed out the BCF is a legacy product and you're unlikely to find a new one anywhere... but the X-Touch Compact is the modern equivalent at around £250

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B3L

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks, it’s the BCF2000 then, blimey, job done!

All those others in the list Hugh, they look scary, complicated, and expensive, three qualities that don’t inspire me.

Check your PMs Tony.....
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Ramirez » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Arpangel wrote:

The Qcon Pro X that Hugh mentioned is indeed quite big, but check out the smaller Platform M+ - it’s basically faders, pan and transport. Worth getting the LCD screen to go with it though.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Don't rule out the big X-Touch model. I can't speak for Reaper, but with Cubase it just works as a Mackie Universal interface. There's really nothing needs doing other than telling the DAW to look at it. I've found it much easier to use and far more useful than the BCF2000 I replaced.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:33 pm

If you don't need the extra knobs of the compact then the scribble strips on the normal x-touch are pretty handy if you're going to run more channels?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:09 am

Arpangel wrote:

I have had the BCF2000, Mackie Pro, and ICON QCON

BCF2000 - only has 8 faders, hence no 'master' fader, no transport controls, so you have to config them yourself. Quite compact

Mackie Pro - nice piece of kit, the LCD strip tends to go, though cheap and easy to replace. Of course implements the Mackie protocol out the box

ICON QCON - does all the Mackie does, not quite so bulky, and quite cheap, I got a 'like new' one off eBay £225, I sold my Mackie for £325 and the ICON is better!

The Mackie and ICON are no more scary than the BCF, they both use the Mackie Protocol which almost any DAW will use, or use the HUI protocol. They have other buttons which the user can configre. I have assinged macros to them so one button press performs several actions and these are set up using the 'learn' function - really easy
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 am

This forum amazes me sometimes with it's generosity and it’s all round help, a forum member has very kindly offered his BCF, so the problem is solved, at least it will give me a chance to find out if I can work this way or not, 8 faders is fine, I don’t need transport controls, or anything fancy, it’s just to control levels while I’m recording, like I would with a hardware mixer.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:50 am

Arpangel wrote:This forum amazes me sometimes with it's generosity and it’s all round help, a forum member has very kindly offered his BCF, so the problem is solved, at least it will give me a chance to find out if I can work this way or not, 8 faders is fine, I don’t need transport controls, or anything fancy, it’s just to control levels while I’m recording, like I would with a hardware mixer.

No, a hardware mixer controls the input, analogue levels. CAN you control recording levels in a DAW with a MIDI controller? I have never had one so don't know.

Tracked levels yes, of course.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:This forum amazes me sometimes with it's generosity and it’s all round help, a forum member has very kindly offered his BCF, so the problem is solved, at least it will give me a chance to find out if I can work this way or not, 8 faders is fine, I don’t need transport controls, or anything fancy, it’s just to control levels while I’m recording, like I would with a hardware mixer.

No, a hardware mixer controls the input, analogue levels. CAN you control recording levels in a DAW with a MIDI controller? I have never had one so don't know.

Tracked levels yes, of course.

Dave.

Dave! Yes, you’re right! :(
Why on earth won’t they let you control levels on record? WHY!
This completely slipped my mind, FFS, thwarted at every turn, see? computers again, nothing but a PITA.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next