You are here

Hardware interface for Reaper.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Hardware interface for Reaper.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 am

Thing is Tone, Tekky, lekktronics, nerds like me have a 'picture' in our heads of a very rough 'plan' of how electrical sound signals propagate through devices like mixers, AIs etc.

I therefore know that you HAVE to control the analogue level* before it hits the A/D converter because once it overloads that, all bets are off.

This has nothing to do with computers or DAWs being "evil" just physics mate. Ok! Yes! Counter-intuitive, frustrating and many a time i, and my son have screamed "W.T.F does it NOT do that??!" Or do something we don't want or foresee but the vast majority of the time PC recording is the best thing since Bread Cum Cut.

*There are of course AIs with digitally controlled pre amps and you could sell a car and get that Neve pre amp in the latest issue?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 am

ef37a wrote:Thing is Tone, Tekky, lekktronics, nerds like me have a 'picture' in our heads of a very rough 'plan' of how electrical sound signals propagate through devices like mixers, AIs etc.

I therefore know that you HAVE to control the analogue level* before it hits the A/D converter because once it overloads that, all bets are off.

This has nothing to do with computers or DAWs being "evil" just physics mate. Ok! Yes! Counter-intuitive, frustrating and many a time i, and my son have screamed "W.T.F does it NOT do that??!" Or do something we don't want or foresee but the vast majority of the time PC recording is the best thing since Bread Cum Cut.

*There are of course AIs with digitally controlled pre amps and you could sell a car and get that Neve pre amp in the latest issue?

Dave.

I’ve gone mixer-less, blimey, I’ve even gone berserk and bought some patch bays, now I’m thinking "what I need is a thing that allows me to control the levels of all my sources before they hit the interface, as in live mixing, there you have it! what I need is something I believe they call a mixer".......

:D :D :D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:53 am

Arpangel wrote:I’ve gone mixer-less, blimey, I’ve even gone berserk and bought some patch bays, now I’m thinking "what I need is a thing that allows me to control the levels of all my sources before they hit the interface, as in live mixing, there you have it! what I need is something I believe they call a mixer".......
Or an interface that lets you set the input gain. Choose your interface wisely, Kwai Chang...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ve gone mixer-less, blimey, I’ve even gone berserk and bought some patch bays, now I’m thinking "what I need is a thing that allows me to control the levels of all my sources before they hit the interface, as in live mixing, there you have it! what I need is something I believe they call a mixer".......
Or an interface that lets you set the input gain. Choose your interface wisely, Kwai Chang...

I’m getting the Behringer UMC1820, it has gain pots on the inputs. I had made up my mind to get Motu 16A, but it’s not suitable in a lot of ways. I can get an ADA2000 to ad to the 1820, and that has gain pots too, all at a fraction of the price of the Motu.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous