You are here

Recording dilemma

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording dilemma

Postby forumuser828680 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:34 pm

Ive been using Boss BR 1600 CD for more than 10 years. The machine plays commercial CDs but now I cant write the songs to CD anymore just this week it happened.
Ive initialized the system to no avail, probably not worth fixing and now have no recourse but to consider computer recording or another digital recorder.
Seems like a huge learning curve ahead with computer. I have monitors and mics.
Any hints, tips, suggestions greatly appreciated.
forumuser828680
New here

Re: Recording dilemma

Postby rurs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 pm

If it was me, I'd research compatible CD burners, or indeed, open it up and see what it uses, and then try and source as new a replacement as possible.
rurs
Poster

Postby forumuser828680 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:57 pm

thanks for the suggestion but a compatible CD burner for that machine? good luck on that one...just sayin...

Are there any digital recorders these days that burn CDs ? ...who does that anymore right? Old school ...or Im just old?

Or go with a refurbished computer Windows? , MAC mini/ Pro? , iMAC ??, thunderbolt interface,....?? Ive heard GarageBand and dont like.

Whats an easy to learn DAW?

:problem:
forumuser828680
New here

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 pm

It might be worth contacting Roland/Boss tech support. They might have a replacement drive as a spare, or possibly could recommend a supported drive that is still on the market.

They are very helpful, and it costs nothing to ask.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby forumuser828680 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:18 pm

I will call them.

Could it still be the drive as I can play CDs no problem?

Its just that I cant write the song to CD any longer.
forumuser828680
New here

Postby rurs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:35 pm

I'd presume it's an IDE drive, so it depends if the OS is tied to a particular drive, or if it's capable of working with something more generic. Can't hurt to investigate, if you still like using the machine.

I don't think any of the current standalone recorders have built in burners, or hard drives for that matter. It's all SD cards for recording and mixing down to. So you could do that, and export the mixdown to PC for burning.

For an easy to use DAW, have a look at Tracktion Waveform, there a fully featured free version available.
rurs
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:25 pm

If you are really attached to the BR16 I'd just carry on using it to record with and then mix down to something else - maybe an external audio CD writer (if you can find one that works) or one of the current generation of SD card recorders.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:44 pm

+1 on checking with Roland - machines of that era tended to work with what was available so chances are it’s just an ide CD burner with a standard form factor.

If the issue is moving to a computer for recording/mixing as opposite to "writing directly to cds", you can always find a modern replacement standalone recorder, which writes to ssd and works in a similar manner. And once you’ve done with the track, you just transfer the WAV to the computer only to burn a cd. Unlike recording/mixing, the learning curve for that is trivial.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:41 am

James Perrett wrote:If you are really attached to the BR16 I'd just carry on using it to record with and then mix down to something else - maybe an external audio CD writer (if you can find one that works) or one of the current generation of SD card recorders.

+1 If the PC/laptop does not have a burner or if it has failed the external ones work fine.
I got one for my grandson a few years ago. I had bought him a Lenovo laptop but did not realize it did not have an optical player in it. You might need a 'Y" USB cable because the burners need more current than a single USB 2.0 port can provide. I would expect USB 3.0 et al to be sufficiently juicy?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm

If you want something that is totally idiot-proof, get a PC and load it up with Soundforge! It does everything that the Boss does and much, much more and it also is a splendid CD buring programme and DDP exporter.

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/sound-fo ... -forge-pro

I have been using Soundforge for over 15 years now and that in my book equates to being idiot proof. But then I am reminded of what Douglas Adams wrote about making something totally idiot proof, "The problem with trying to make something totally idiot proof is that one forgets the inginuity of total idiots!"
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankF » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Refurbished burner for the BR1600 on Ebay for about £35 all in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-BR-1600 ... xyQ45Q-mN5

I notice that the Boss has both USB out AND SPDIF I/O, so an external CD burner might be a lot cheaper. The USB out is painfully slow, according to a certain Mr Inglis, :-)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/boss-br1600cd
FrankF
Regular

Postby forumuser828680 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:39 pm

thanks all. I did speak with Roland US/Boss and the guy said they dont support the BR1600 anymore and there are no parts to buy from them. He told me to go to a dealer that does support Roland products. I brought my machine to them and Im waiting on the results.

Meanwhile contemplating my move into computer recording. There is a lot of info out there. what Ive learned so far is to just decide on a platform and use it and learn it, maybe get the DAW that yr friends have....assuming one has friends with DAWs.

any ideas?
forumuser828680
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:17 am

All the main DAWs will do pretty much everything you need. From Cakewalk (free) up to the full-fat versions of Cubase and Pro-tools (quite a long way from free!)
Choosing one really comes down to personal preference, and there's a lot to be said for seeing what your mates use and following that route.
Some will also let you download a trial version.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 am

Yes indeed the Internet is awash with advice about computer sound recording but to be blunt it is in many ways a very simple process to start with.

Get a modest interface. Spend £100-£150 and get something with two microphone/line/instrument inputs and two line outputs as a minimum. I would always suggest an AI with MIDI but investigate that.
There really is little to chose between the major players, (in no part' order) Tascam, Native Instruments, Behringer, Focusrite, Mackie. Top draw stuff is RME and MOTU but well above £150. Nice but I very much doubt you would hear a difference.

Mics you might have but a dynamic for vocals and guitar cabs maybe a Small Diaphragm Capacitor for acoustic guitar and other things.

DAW? Easy, Cockos Reaper. Top line software and silly money. There is a huge community and sheds of demo YTs.

Computer? Even a middling grade 'office' laptop will allow you to make a dozen or more tracks, it is only when you want to add effects and other CPU intense functions that the i7s and 32 gigs of ram jobbies are needed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser828680 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 pm

OK. thank you.

The gorilla in my room...

I think it's time to face it in the event that they can't repair my Boss recorder the question is what do I get for a computer set up?

I need: computer (desk/lap); interface; DAW. suggestions/recomendations?

Do I also need a internet hookup?

I use the Sony Mick Fleetwood wav files for drum parts. However the files are on a CD and Ive been using them about 10 years.
How would I load the CD tracks into the DAW?

Could I still run off a CD to check mixes?

I have large diaphragm mics, Dynaudio Bm5a's.

thank you much!
forumuser828680
New here

Next