You are here

Recording dilemma

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording dilemma

Postby ef37a » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Yes, you need an interface. They come in "quanta" one mic, two mics, four mics, and so on.
Then there are variations, some AIs have just two mic XLRs (which can also accept a balanced line input or guitar) but also a pair of fixed gain balanced line inputs, handy if you have a synth or you could use a mixer to get 4 mic tracks. All but the meanest and silliest interfaces have MIDI ports in and out.
You get two balanced outs as standard but some give 4 (maybe 2 on RCA) .There really is no difference between AIs in the same price range now, look for the number of ins and outs you think you might need then stick pin in!

The Drum CD: Assuming you can play CDs in your laptop pop it in and tap up My Computer to see all the drives. There it should be. Right click on the CD icon. Copy. Hover over a space on the desktop. Paste. After a bit the CD will be there and you can then move it if you like.
I don't know the CD of course but I suspect you would find the sample you want then copy and paste it into a track in say Reaper? Or drag and drop? Others here might know of a more 'putertekky way to do it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:11 pm

If you're happy with the format you've got and don't fancy a steep learning curve maybe look at something like the Zoom R24 or R16/8. It won't burn a CD directly but will mix to an SD card in the same way. It's a bit long in the tooth but still very functional. With any PC or laptop you can copy from CD to SD and vice versa. Plus if you've already got mics and monitors etc. there's no further outlay. Also if you eventually decide to go down the PC route it'll function as an interface and control surface for any DAW via USB.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 pm

I've recently got a tech-phobic old friend into recording on a Zoom L-8. He's found it very easy to use and a couple of weeks in he's very comfortable using it. I don't think he would mind me saying that if *he* can get the hang of one, anyone can! :D

IME any of the Zoom LiveTrak mixer/recorders (6, 12 and 24-input variants) are pretty easy to get to grips with and are capable of very good results. They will act as an audio interface to your computer, if you need that, or you can transfer from SD card after tracking on the LiveTrak.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 pm

It's just a standard slimline IDE CD burner. Probably no longer stocked by your local PC shop, but still available. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/TS-T632-DVD%C2%B ... ref=sr_1_7

At 15$ worth risking a rare compatibility problem?
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Argiletonne » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:39 am

learning curve I'd go buy another thing I like to do to replace the old broken one,.
you should buy one of those sheep where the sound is captures in their hair.
It's like a personal nonstop recorder,
than you shave the hair off and splice it together to make the track.
It's pretty dope on the underground scene.
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Previous