You are here

Retro Jungle Production With Pete Cannon video

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Retro Jungle Production With Pete Cannon video

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:52 pm

If I didn’t remember the good old days this would have reminded me why I was so happy when Cubase replaced Pro24, which was like the Amiga program Octamed that Pete showed us first.
I’m even happier that now I can put just about the whole studio in a computer.
I never have the urge to go back and do things the old way. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: Retro Jungle Production With Pete Cannon video

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Indeed!

Pro24 wasn't like Octamed, which was a tracker not a sequencer, and Pro24 was pretty groundbreaking at the time, but is pretty basic when you look at what sequencers became. It was the template though for professional grade sequencing on the Atari ST, everything took off from there.

Creator was launched as Pro24 matured and was a *way* better program than Pro24 and took the lead as the best one (though there were other good ones that tried - every other week there was a new Atari sequencer for a while - check my archives!) - while Cubase was being developed, and that then raised the bar on the arrange page stakes (though I always though Cubase was clunky and slow compared to Notator and that bias continues to this day for me...)

But when i think of the times I had to break down all my studio and transport it just to lay things down elsewhere, whereas now I can just take the laptop and go... we've come a looooong way... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Retro Jungle Production With Pete Cannon video

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Pro24 wasn't like Octamed
I didn’t own Pro24 for very long, I upgraded instantly the moment Cubase came out. I don’t remember exactly how it worked but I seem to remember flipping back and forth between windows to arrange what sequences I’d recorded in the other, then forgetting what it was I needed to move to where on the arrange page.
However it worked I do remember instantly realising that Cubase was instinctive as far as I was concerned.
though I always though Cubase was clunky and slow compared to Notator and that bias continues to this day for me...)
I never used Notator so can’t comment, but it reminded me of Pro24.
Years later, when Cubase Audio was reportedly buggy on release, I moved over to Logic Audio, which had adopted a Cubase style Arrange page, on its journey from its Notator roots.
I had a steep learning curve though as I’d simultaneously moved from Atari to Apple too.
we've come a looooong way... :thumbup:
Absobloominglutely!!!
MOF
Frequent Poster