You are here

DAW's/Cubase 10.5 and music genre

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

DAW's/Cubase 10.5 and music genre

Postby LinearZero » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi all

I'm new here, hopefully this has been posted in the right forum, I'm basically wanting to know from people who use/used Cubase 10.5 either artist or pro if it is worth buying (I've heard Cubase is not what it used to be, whatever that means), particularly for orchestral/cinematic music. I have been using FL studio signature for a few months so I'm still learning but one thing that has frustrated me is the "drag & drop" kind of interface, which is great for repetitive EDM but is painful for doing orchestral music.

I do not record any audio i.e vocals, instruments e.t.c. Everything I do is done via vst plugins or pre-recorded samples. I have used Cubase 5 and felt fairly comfortable with it, so any comparisons between the two would also be appreciated.

Any advice, experience in using it would be helpful. Money is not too much of an issue although if "artist" does what I need I'm happy to go with that rather than forking out more for "pro".
LinearZero
New here

Re: DAW's/Cubase 10.5 and music genre

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Cubase user here, not for that genre though. I believe it's well loved by people more deeply into VST, midi... may be Mr Elf can tell you better.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Hello LinearZero and welcome! I've relocated this thread to the "Recording: Gear & Techniques" forum as it's better suited for general discussions of this type.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby LinearZero » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hello LinearZero and welcome! I've relocated this thread to the "Recording: Gear & Techniques" forum as it's better suited for general discussions of this type.

Cheers
LinearZero
New here

Postby LinearZero » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm

ore_terra wrote:Cubase user here, not for that genre though. I believe it's well loved by people more deeply into VST, midi... may be Mr Elf can tell you better.

Sorry, Cubase is NOT well suited to orchestral/cinematic? I only use VST's if you're referring to Cubase.
LinearZero
New here

Postby RichardT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I use Cubase for a variety of styles including orchestral, using mostly VSTs. I don’t use the video features though. I find that it’s fine for what I want to do. I can’t compare it to other DAWs as I’m not expert in them.
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

LinearZero wrote:
ore_terra wrote:Cubase user here, not for that genre though. I believe it's well loved by people more deeply into VST, midi... may be Mr Elf can tell you better.

Sorry, Cubase is NOT well suited to orchestral/cinematic? I only use VST's if you're referring to Cubase.
On the contrary! (I think!) just said its not the use I give it and still like it
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Cubase is great for orchestral work. Not the only option, by any means, but it is certainly not a weakness of Cubase.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Elf » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Genre is really not relevant. Cubase can handle any music you want to create with it, as can pretty much any DAW. Of course some DAWs are more biased toward pattern construction (such as AAbleton Live), while Cubase takes a more linear approach, but that doesn't make either of them unable to handle any one style of music.

Cubase is as good as it ever was. I will say I still prefer the old Cubase 5 mixer, but I'm in a minority on that one. And I've got used to it, so it's not an issue for me.

I love the idea that people are saying Cubase 'isn't what it once was'! :lol: No, it isn't - it's grown better and better. But people don't like change, and Steinberg sometimes seem to implement change for the sake of change. A prime example was the removal of the useful right-click menu, which they still haven't re-instated fully. I've given up asking them to fix it. They seem much less responsive to customers these days.

Gems for me are Control Room, VariAudio, Padshop (terrible name) and powerful and swift audio editing in general. Simple stuff, such as gain controls and filters always available on every channel are just exemplary. Weaknesses for me are poly aftertouch editing and the inability to create routing feedback loops - something I made a lot of use of back before Steinberg removed it to save us from ourselves.

Coming from C5 (why so out of date?) you are going to suffer some culture shock with the modern version. I had to use Cubase 8 a short time ago and I was hitting road blocks all the time due to 'missing' features I've come to rely on. C5 is ancient history, so although you will recognise much of Cubase now you're going to find that you aren't in Kansas any more. Prepare for some time just learning the new ropes.

Is Cubase perfect? Nah, of course not. But it will get the job done.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:36 am

Back in the early days of my recording 'career'* I used Cubase (so long ago it still had a serial port dongle). I went back to hardware for a few years 'cos I spent so much time tweaking dodgy windoze PCs that I hardly got any music done. When I came back to computer based recording on a G5 Mac I settled on Reaper as I decided the learning curve for a new version of Cubase would be nearly as steep as starting from scratch with Reaper and the cost of Cubase was hard to justify. All the current DAWs will get the job done and they all have demo versions available so if it was me I'd download the demos of Cubase 10.5 and of Reaper 6** and have a play with them both. If you find Reaper works for you you'll have £420 spare to spend on some nice toys or lots of beer.

edit to add link to SOS review of Cubase 10.5 https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-cubase-pro-105

* I was a dabbler then and still am now. :blush:

** I believe you can get skins to make Reaper look more like Cubase but I stick with the standard UI as I sometimes help a couple of mates and my son out with Reaper and it's easier if we are all using the same version/GUI.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Zukan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:34 am

I'm on Cubase 10 and it's a CPU hog. No amount of updates and computer customisation has changed that. I now need to freeze to lighten the CPU load and have got utterly sick of it. Do a search on the net and you'll be amazed with the number of similar complaints. It has affected my workflow so much that I now use Reaper and Studio 1.

Download the trial and test it before commiting to buy it.
Zukan

Postby LinearZero » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm

The Elf wrote:Genre is really not relevant. Cubase can handle any music you want to create with it, as can pretty much any DAW. Of course some DAWs are more biased toward pattern construction (such as AAbleton Live), while Cubase takes a more linear approach, but that doesn't make either of them unable to handle any one style of music.

Cubase is as good as it ever was. I will say I still prefer the old Cubase 5 mixer, but I'm in a minority on that one. And I've got used to it, so it's not an issue for me.

I love the idea that people are saying Cubase 'isn't what it once was'! :lol: No, it isn't - it's grown better and better. But people don't like change, and Steinberg sometimes seem to implement change for the sake of change. A prime example was the removal of the useful right-click menu, which they still haven't re-instated fully. I've given up asking them to fix it. They seem much less responsive to customers these days.

Gems for me are Control Room, VariAudio, Padshop (terrible name) and powerful and swift audio editing in general. Simple stuff, such as gain controls and filters always available on every channel are just exemplary. Weaknesses for me are poly aftertouch editing and the inability to create routing feedback loops - something I made a lot of use of back before Steinberg removed it to save us from ourselves.

Coming from C5 (why so out of date?) you are going to suffer some culture shock with the modern version. I had to use Cubase 8 a short time ago and I was hitting road blocks all the time due to 'missing' features I've come to rely on. C5 is ancient history, so although you will recognise much of Cubase now you're going to find that you aren't in Kansas any more. Prepare for some time just learning the new ropes.

To be honest Cubase 5 was given by a friend when I knew nothing about DAW's so it was likely pirated. Eventually it would take longer to load, would freeze more and would eventually become unusable so I would have to re-install it every few months. I thought it was just what was to be expected when you use dodgy software. But it's starting to sound more like it's a Cubase thing, not a dodgy copy thing.

What I meant by Cubase and orchestral music was that when comparing with FL studio, Cubase seemed far more intuitive (I've read alot of people say the opposite so maybe I'm weird lol) and it's UI (I think that's the right term) seemed more suited to emulating real instruments (i.e orchestral instruments) when editing dynamics. It's hard to explain FL studio's set up without showing photo's or a video, but as far as I'm aware you can't record part of a track, stop, edit dynamics, press record again and continue with the next section of your track. FL studio kind of turns each recording into a loop which is put aside for dragging and dropping. Say you wanted a trombone to play forte in one section then in the next section do a glissando or some kind of riser for the next section, you'd have to take that FIRST section you recorded, click on it, change the recording to "unique" which makes a copy of it, then you can edit that copy which also becomes another new loop to drag and drop. If you don't do that and you have say 5 or 6 sections, altering that one loop you didn't make "unique" will overwrite every single instance of that loop throughout the whole piece. That's what I meant by "if you want to do repetitive EDM music and there's little change in dynamics FL Studio is great." If not, it's like Cubase with extra steps.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, it's hard to describe. When I went onto the Image Line forum most people couldn't understand what I mean't when I asked, "why can't I record part of a song in FL - studio, stop, edit then just continue recording". If you do that it just overwrites what you recorded before.
LinearZero
New here

Postby LinearZero » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:02 pm

The Elf wrote:Coming from C5 (why so out of date?) you are going to suffer some culture shock with the modern version. I had to use Cubase 8 a short time ago and I was hitting road blocks all the time due to 'missing' features I've come to rely on. C5 is ancient history, so although you will recognise much of Cubase now you're going to find that you aren't in Kansas any more. Prepare for some time just learning the new ropes.

So basically I shouldn't expect Cubase 10.5 to be easy just because I know how to use Cubase 5. :lol:
LinearZero
New here

Postby artzmusic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm

The upgrade to Cubase 10.5 was very welcome in my case. 9.5 dropped sounds so often that I had to constantly reinstall the sounds even though the folder sources were listed in the targeted search. Fresh install of 10.5 solved all of that. The program loads better and more efficient.

As far as orchestral music, Cubase 10.5 will handle any orchestras just as well as any other top DAW. I don't by any means use all the features but everything I ever need is there. And once you get used to all the tools, you can really speed through any kind of editing.

One of the top contributers on the Cubase forum is a friend who does scoring for videos fulltime and uses the Nuendo version of Cubase pretty much excluvisely. So yes, the top studios in the world do use it for orchestral music.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Zukan wrote:I'm on Cubase 10 and it's a CPU hog.
That's an odd one. I've not heard of that being a general problem, and it's certainly not my experience. I did switch off the 'ASIO protect' stuff, since it fought with Elektron Overbridge, and I recall someone telling me that perked up their PC too. Worth trying if you've a mind to.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Next