You are here

DAW's/Cubase 10.5 and music genre

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: DAW's/Cubase 10.5 and music genre

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:31 pm

LinearZero wrote:
The Elf wrote:...although you will recognise much of Cubase now you're going to find that you aren't in Kansas any more. Prepare for some time just learning the new ropes.
So basically I shouldn't expect Cubase 10.5 to be easy just because I know how to use Cubase 5. :lol:
You will find some of it familiar, but switching to another DAW would probably represent as easy a jump as going from 5 to 10.5 - it's moved on enormously.

BTW if you don't have a dongle for Cubase it's not legit. If you've been using a pirated C5 all this time then I reckon Steinberg deserve something in return, if only to ease your conscience... :cry:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Been having this problem since V9.

My last project, which I made into a video series, was to mix a modest 40 track pop mix. The CPU meter was at 90%. I loaded the project disabling all plugins and it was a modest 40%. I rendered with effects and dynamics and it still registered 40% CPU hit AFTER the renders.

Had it been just for the 10 update then fine, but I have been having this hell since V9.

I have changed all manner of settings within Cubase but no use whatsoever. It is a shame as I have been using Cubase since day 1.

Two of my students, who use Cubase 10 and 10.5, have had the same hell and have now moved onto Reaper. This shows that the problem is not exclsuive to my personal settings. Additionally, since V 9 I have had 3 PC builds and all 3 have experienced the same CPU hits using Cubase.

Here are some tales...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cubase+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Odd!

Nope, never had the problem with any version.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:54 pm

I know. It's weird...
Zukan

Postby Kwackman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Zukan wrote:I know. It's weird...

Not wishing to kick a man when he's down, but I've been very happy (or lucky) with nearly all the versions of Cubase, currently on Cubase Pro 10.5
I wouldn't be a power user, usually only several audio tracks and a couple of virtual instruments (Superior Drummer3, Trilian and Kontakt), but it's all pretty well behaved.
I run it on a 2010 Mac Pro (High Sierra , I think) and a 2012 Mac mini (latest Catalina OS).
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ore_terra » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Never in my case either
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Zukan wrote:I know. It's weird...
You on W7 or W10, Eddie?
I too was previously unaware of this, and without wishing to rub it in I'd been pleasantly surprised by how efficiently C10 seemed to run on my now slightly ageing AMD FX build.
I've been putting off the update from W7 to W10, and the latter seems to be a common feature in the thread you linked. Don't want to go full post hoc ergo propter hoc about things, but it does make me a little nervous :think:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Zukan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

I'm on W10 Log...
Zukan

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Zukan wrote:I'm on Cubase 10 and it's a CPU hog. No amount of updates and computer customisation has changed that. I now need to freeze to lighten the CPU load and have got utterly sick of it. Do a search on the net and you'll be amazed with the number of similar complaints. It has affected my workflow so much that I now use Reaper and Studio 1.

Download the trial and test it before commiting to buy it.

I used to carry a torch for Cubase and to some extent I still do. But yes over time and certainly with C10, it knocks lumps out of the cpu. I like it, there are improvements but you forfeit speed. I used to be able to work at 32 samples, now my pc wheezes at 64 samples and being realistic I need to work at 128. I took c5 and c6 off my pc but never got around to taking c8.5 I only took c5/6 off to force me to at least use 8.5 thinking why buy 10 and keep using c5/6. I downloaded and installed Bandlab Cakewalk and am trying to move over to that, though it’s a slow journey, I have invested so much time and effort with cubase with custom setups, hardware controllers, sample library setups, macros etc

I appreciate Steinberg in common with other developers have to come up with more and more features, but in essence, re-inventing the wheel doesn’t seem to make it rounder, just bigger so it needs more grunt to make it go round
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous