You are here

Sennheiser 600 vs 650 headphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sennheiser 600 vs 650 headphones

Postby Glenn Bucci » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 pm

I know both headphones are very good and they probably are very similar. Some have said the 600 are more accurate for helping with mixes while the 650 top end is a little smoother.

On the headphones shootout SOS had, they praised the 800s but with the price being over 3x the price of the 650, they gave the impression the 650's are very close to the sound the 800s provide.

For helping with mixing duties which do you prefer and why? Thanks
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Sennheiser 600 vs 650 headphones

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:13 pm

I don't think there's much between them, performance wise.

The HD600 seems more sensitive (ie it goes louder for the same input level), and the HD650 has a slightly 'tilted' frequency balance in comparison, with a little more bass and a little less HF air -- but these really are very small tonal differences which are easily accommodated with familiarity.

Their physical construction is very similar but there are, again, small differences, with the HD650 supposedly using improved materials. Comfort-wise there's nothing to choose between them as the weight and ear cups are so similar.

...There's also the new HD660S to consider -- marketed as the improved successor to the HD650 was was, itself, the improved successor to the HD600....

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi Glenn,

I'm still happy with my 650's, which have an extended bass end, but have since read an awful lot of posts from musicians who think the 600's sound more natural for mixing.

You really need comments from those who have used both regularly (EDIT: Like Hugh ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 pm

The only time I 'mix' on headphones is when I'm on location and need a monitor mix, and then I normally use HD25s...

I do use HD600s sometimes for quality checking in the studio. I had HD650s too but they're on long-term loan elsewhere.... The HD's are very neutral and well balanced headphones, but my personal preference is actually for AKGs sound balance. I started with K141s as a teenager, and then various K240 models (I still have and use the Studio model), but my standard reference for a long time now is the K701 which I prefer over the K812 I also have.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm

I have all 3 - and the HD 800 is really a big step up from the others (but you pay for it).
I have had my 600 from before it was a 600 ;) - it was originally released as a limited edition HD 580 Jubilee (which I have), but sold out so very quickly that Sennheiser changed the paint job and called it a 600 (as the Jubilee was a "limited edition" you are not allowed to make any more than originally stated - for the Jubilee that was just 4,000).

I'm not sure which I prefer over the 600 and 650, but tend to listen to the 650 - but they sound their best withg a good headphone amp.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Glenn Bucci » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:55 pm

I also started on AKG with the 240 Studio monitors. I have since purchased some higher end Shures and Beyerdynamic 770 and 990's. Thinking if I am used to the Beyer sound, perhaps the 1990's would be a nice step up. SOS has not yet reviewed them. :protest: Based on what several have said, they are a modest upgrade from the 990's and are worth the upgrade.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:37 pm

I use both the HD600 and 650 and find them very similar, albeit that the 600 sounds slightly more neutral than the 650, but we are talking very small differences. Since the music I play and record is 'classical', I favour the 600 for editing, but am happy to listen to jazz/modern/rock et., on the 650, which have slightly more punch.

Incidentally, the Sennheiser website offers little insight into the differences, but for the 600 states: "These headphones are an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music".

Given that the 660 is only slightly more expensive, I would, if possible under the present restrictions, listen and compare with the 600/650.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby John Willett » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:Incidentally, the Sennheiser website offers little insight into the differences, but for the 600 states: "These headphones are an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music".

I think I wrote that when I was working for Sennheiser UK when the HD 600 first came out.

Sennheiser Germany often sent me the English translations to check for good English and I added bits if the description was a bit rubbish ;) and I seem to remember that that was one of them I added after using the HD 600 myself for recording and editing classical music myself.

NB: I alwayd highlighted my additions so they knew what I had changed / added.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle