You are here

X32 Compact to Logic Pro X help.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

X32 Compact to Logic Pro X help.

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Does anyone on the forum have experience of connecting an X32 Compact to Logic Pro x. I have the X-live card installed on the X32.

I've tried various methods and watched a whole pile of videos. I even tried to contact Behringer and I then found out they no longer have a technical support service, which was nice.

I'm more than happy to pay for someone's time to talk me through it over the phone.
Matt D
Regular

Re: X32 Compact to Logic Pro X help.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:55 pm

What is your difficulty? I don't use Logic but I do use Reaper on a Mac Pro so may be able to help.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:What is your difficulty? I don't use Logic but I do use Reaper on a Mac Pro so may be able to help.

I have Reaper as a trial as well, so that would work fine.

Just basically, how I should set it all up, there are so many options and im pretty sure I have one option clicked wrongly. When I play a note on my synth, it comes into the X32 no problem, but it doesn't then seem to show up in the DAW.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Basically if it works with Reaper it should work with Logic then.

In Reaper go to "Preferences/audio/device and select "X-USB", it should be available in the drop down menu, if not then check USB cable.

I use CH1-16 for instrument inputs and 17-32 for 'tape returns' so I have the card set to 16in/16out (setup/card on the X32C) and inputs 17-24 & 25-32 (routing/input on the X32C) assigned to 'card 1-8' and 'card 9-16'. It's possible to use scenes for tracking and replay/mixing if you need more inputs (set the card to 32in/32out). It shouldn't matter how the Mac 'sounds' are set as far as the DAW I/O is concerned.

See if that helps
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Basically if it works with Reaper it should work with Logic then.

In Reaper go to "Preferences/audio/device and select "X-USB", it should be available in the drop down menu, if not then check USB cable.

I use CH1-16 for instrument inputs and 17-32 for 'tape returns' so I have the card set to 16in/16out (setup/card on the X32C) and inputs 17-24 & 25-32 (routing/input on the X32C) assigned to 'card 1-8' and 'card 9-16'. It's possible to use scenes for tracking and replay/mixing if you need more inputs (set the card to 32in/32out). It shouldn't matter how the Mac 'sounds' are set as far as the DAW I/O is concerned.

See if that helps

Thank you - I will give that a go and post back on here.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Basically if it works with Reaper it should work with Logic then.

See if that helps

So when I play a note on the synth, am I supposed to be seeing some input on Reaper? The sound is showing up fine on the X32, but nothing on reaper at all. I have set repair to input 1 and chosen the X-Live option in audio preferences.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Have you record armed the track? Reaper doesn't register an input signal by default unless the track is armed.

I've shut down the studio now and am away for a few days from tomorrow but if you're still stuck next week I'll have another go.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Have you connected your synth to channel one on the X32? I don't think you can reassign channels on the X32 to different computer outputs so you need to make sure the input channel you set on Reaper matches the channel you are using on the X32.

Also check the first and last channel settings in Reaper's Audio setup dialog (that's had me scratching my head for a while).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Have you record armed the track? Reaper doesn't register an input signal by default unless the track is armed.

I've shut down the studio now and am away for a few days from tomorrow but if you're still stuck next week I'll have another go.

Yep - armed the track etc.

Its okay, im going to take it back to Andertons tomorrow and change for an Allen and Heath Qu16.

I spoke to them today, and they were more than happy to talk me through the setup. There is probably just a setting on the X32 that is wrong, but as their customer support at Behringer is non-existent, I don't really want to get stuck.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 pm

The issue is more likely with your DAW than the X32 but if not, and you have an analogue mindset, the Qu is probably going to be easier to get to grips with. Though Im a big fan of A&H kit I couldn't have lived with the Qu's limitations (limited routing, no LCD scribble strips, mega expensive peripherals etc), no regrets at all about going the X32 route after 6+ years.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt D » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 am

Sam Spoons wrote:The issue is more likely with your DAW than the X32 but if not, and you have an analogue mindset, the Qu is probably going to be easier to get to grips with. Though Im a big fan of A&H kit I couldn't have lived with the Qu's limitations (limited routing, no LCD scribble strips, mega expensive peripherals etc), no regrets at all about going the X32 route after 6+ years.

I think you are right and I would have been really happy with the X32 desk, if they had more comprehensive technical support. It was my first choice, but in the end, I am now using this as an audio interface to a DAW.

I will never need it for live recording or mixing etc, my use is purely personal and amateur. Its a hobby and so my requirement is ease of use for one by one channel layering.

So even without comprehensive internal routing, I will be routing to a DAW in the end, so I can change the input on each DAW channel, as opposed to having to route internally in the Qu16.

Having said that, give it a week and I might had got fed up with the limitations, next choice is the Soundcraft Si Impact. :headbang:
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

If you are only recording one or two channels at a time and not using the mixer to mix through there is little point in having a mixer at all. A two or four input audio interface and, if you really need faders for ITB mixing, buy a small surface like an X-Touch.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt D » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:40 am

Sam Spoons wrote:If you are only recording one or two channels at a time and not using the mixer to mix through there is little point in having a mixer at all. A two or four input audio interface and, if you really need faders for ITB mixing, buy a small surface like an X-Touch.

I was thinking about that, but I can't see any other way to input 7 synths and 2 drum machines.

The Qu16 doesn't work either. When I go to system preferences>sound>input and choose the Qu16, I can see the signal from the Qu16, so the Mac is definitely receiving a signal from the desk.

But whatever DAW I choose, no signal is showing on the inputs. All of the 24 choices are there from the Qu16, but no signal is coming through. I've tried Cubase, Reaper and Logic

Ive enabled the tracks to record etc, but nothing. It's all very bizarre.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 pm

Ok. Maybe run through some troubleshooting. You have probably tried this already, but it doesn't hurt to write it out point by point.

Firstly, is the QU set up correctly? I don't have that mixer (I use the X32), but you usually have to route the desk input channels to the correct USB output channels with Allen & Heath mixers. There's details of this on page 78 of the manual available here:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mi ... 372_10.pdf

Once that's done we can look at logic. Hook up the USB to the mac and click on the speaker icon in the top right of the screen (volume and audio control). Does the QU pop up there as an option? If not, it's not connecting to the mac correctly, so either the desk is faulty, or your USB cable is faulty, or your USB port on the Mac is broken.

If you can see the QU on that menu then you can load up logic.

Once logic is open go: Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio

Here you can select the QU as your input/output device.

Once you've done that you can create a new project and create a new audio track. Make sure the correct input is selected, then hit the red R button at the bottom of the channel fader. Level should appear.

It should be that simple, as Allen & Heath stuff is class compliant, so shouldn't need audio drivers or anything else on a Mac. If it still doesn't work then there's something really wrong somewhere, so you'll probably need to find someone who can help. Luckily you've bought a QU now. Allen & Heath, in my experience, are brilliant on their customer service, so I'd try giving them a call.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Matt D » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:45 pm

Dave Rowles wrote:Ok. Maybe run through some troubleshooting. You have probably tried this already, but it doesn't hurt to write it out point by point.

Firstly, is the QU set up correctly? I don't have that mixer (I use the X32), but you usually have to route the desk input channels to the correct USB output channels with Allen & Heath mixers. There's details of this on page 78 of the manual available here:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mi ... 372_10.pdf

Once that's done we can look at logic. Hook up the USB to the mac and click on the speaker icon in the top right of the screen (volume and audio control). Does the QU pop up there as an option? If not, it's not connecting to the mac correctly, so either the desk is faulty, or your USB cable is faulty, or your USB port on the Mac is broken.

If you can see the QU on that menu then you can load up logic.

Once logic is open go: Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio

Here you can select the QU as your input/output device.

Once you've done that you can create a new project and create a new audio track. Make sure the correct input is selected, then hit the red R button at the bottom of the channel fader. Level should appear.

It should be that simple, as Allen & Heath stuff is class compliant, so shouldn't need audio drivers or anything else on a Mac. If it still doesn't work then there's something really wrong somewhere, so you'll probably need to find someone who can help. Luckily you've bought a QU now. Allen & Heath, in my experience, are brilliant on their customer service, so I'd try giving them a call.

Thank you for your reply and this is exactly the problem I am having. The Qu is showing up everywhere, Logic, the speaker on the top row of OSX, everywhere you look.

For example

I plug my iPhone into the Qu channels 1 and 2
play iTunes

Click on the speaker on the top row, change the input to Qu16

open preferences and click on the input tab, you can see the horizontal bar, labelled as "input level" and this is showing a healthy signal coming from the mixing desk and is moving left and right, like a normal meter should.

But no sound will come out of the internal speakers, even if I change the Output to "internal speakers" and move the volume slider around. Normally I don't have any problem with the Macbooks internal speakers. Im on Cantalina and the MacBook is only 4 years old, so this is all very odd.

And I suspect this is where the problem lies
Matt D
Regular

Next