You are here

X32 Compact to Logic Pro X help.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: X32 Compact to Logic Pro X help.

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:58 pm

As you have tried an X32 and a QU with your Mac & Logic, it might be worth booking an appointment with a genius at your local Apple Store. Certainly worth a try Matt.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Matt D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:43 am

zenguitar wrote:As you have tried an X32 and a QU with your Mac & Logic, it might be worth booking an appointment with a genius at your local Apple Store. Certainly worth a try Matt.

good idea - I'm going to see if I can get a slot over the next week. I won't bother Allen and Heath just yet, as I think it would be fair to say there seems to be an internal problem with the Mac. The thing is, my wife's Mac has the same issue.

Would it be fair to say, that I should be able to choose the Qu16 as the input (on the speaker icon at the top of the Mac screen), and then choose internal speakers as the output - and hear the signal from the Qu16?
Matt D
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:11 am

Matt D wrote: The thing is, my wife's Mac has the same issue.

And that is precisely why it's worth getting a new set of eyes from a genius to contribute. It all points to a misunderstood or poorly explained setting in MacOS or Logic. Especially when OS and program developers work so hard to make the initial interface 'plug & go' for the bulk of users.

We are fortunate that for most hardware, computer, and software combinations plug & play 'just works' for the vast majority of users. But the downside is that when it doesn't 'just work' the solution is often something as simple as a tick box in the settings that is poorly documented.

Good luck Matt :thumbup:

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Matt D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am

zenguitar wrote:
Matt D wrote: The thing is, my wife's Mac has the same issue.

And that is precisely why it's worth getting a new set of eyes from a genius to contribute. It all points to a misunderstood or poorly explained setting in MacOS or Logic. Especially when OS and program developers work so hard to make the initial interface 'plug & go' for the bulk of users.

We are fortunate that for most hardware, computer, and software combinations plug & play 'just works' for the vast majority of users. But the downside is that when it doesn't 'just work' the solution is often something as simple as a tick box in the settings that is poorly documented.

Good luck Matt :thumbup:

Thank you for all of your help. Can I just check something, before I make a Genius Bar appointment.

Would it be fair to say, that I should be able to choose the Qu16 as the input (on the speaker icon at the top of the Mac screen), and then choose internal speakers as the output - and hear the signal from the Qu16?

As in, the signal from the Qu16, which is showing up on the input level of the sound preferences, should be able to be heard from the internal speakers on the MacBook?
Matt D
Regular

Postby Matt D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 am

For anybody that is interested - this mystery is now solved thanks to Apple support. It took 3 different people at Apple to work out what the problem was .... and it is very simple.

Just so you know - I don't have a microphone and won't be recording vocals.

If you don't allow your DAW to have access to your internal microphone, you can't record an external signal on an Apple Mac. So the USB audio signal from the Qu16, was being seen by the MacBook - but it will not process the signal until you allow access to the internal microphone, via the security>privacy tab in preferences - for your particular DAW.

I asked why they didn't use the word "audio device", instead of microphone, but he wasn't sure.

So thank you to everyone for all of your help, as soon as I allowed Logic to have access to my internal microphone, the audio signal from the Qu16, came through loud and clear.

Something so bizarre, I never would have thought of it.
Matt D
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am

Glad you got it sorted Matt. :thumbup:

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Wow. That's a good obscure setting to know about. I use my internal mic to make audio notes in logic or to jot down ideas in random places out of my studio setup, so that's probably why I never thought twice about allowing logic access.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm

My MBP is on High Sierra and there is no option referring to the microphone in preferences/security/privacy (or any of the other security settings I can find. which OS are you using?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:59 am

I was just posting to check the Privacy settings for Microphone when I saw this second page - good that you found it and yes, it's crazy that the entire audio system is 'microphone'! We had exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago with my brothers new mac and Garageband.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Matt D » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:My MBP is on High Sierra and there is no option referring to the microphone in preferences/security/privacy (or any of the other security settings I can find. which OS are you using?

Im using Catalina 10.15.6

So if you go to system preferences>security&privacy and then click on the privacy tab, scroll down to microphone - there isn't an option to click for reaper?

If there isn't, this would fit in with that the apple tech was saying about this being a new problem as Apple are becoming obsessed with getting users permission for everything, rather than just accepting that permission is given.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 pm

Yes that makes sense, there is no microphone option amongst the privacy settings in High Sierra, and my audio card just works when I point Reaper at it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous