You are here

Surround sound equalization

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Surround sound equalization

Postby csarami@ncsu.edu » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I use sonarworks reference 4 and it only works for stereo setups ( also with subwoofer).

I just came across this also now. But one cannot use his audio interface.

Anyone has experience with this interface and its eq calibration?

Is there a software to do surround sound equalization for a 5.1 setup with a typical audio interface?
csarami@ncsu.edu
Poster

Re: Surround sound equalization

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Soundforge - it even has a Dolby encoder bundled in with it.

It can be used up to 32 channels - if you have a 32-channel interface that is!

Another software alternative is Reaper - the output channel count is infinite!

For professional mastering solution for 5.1, 7.1 or even Atmos or DTS-X and all the other 3D audio formats would be the 'Fairlight' tools in DaVinci-Resolve. It is free, so the price is right.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:53 pm

I think the OP is looking for multi-channel room-correction software, rather than a DAW with multi-channel output capability.

I'd suggest 'CONEQ P8pro' or 'Dirac Live For Studio' which can both deal with at least 8 channels.

The more expensive, but arguably better options are the Trinnov D-Mon multichannel room correction hardware, or buying active DSP speakers with their own room correction features built in, such as some of the Genelecs -- although several manufacturers are now doing the same thing.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:28 pm

That comes with not reading the question properly!

I have zero knowledge of the other systems but I did try the Genelec system - I was very skeptical and thought in advance "If Genelec can't get it right, then probably nobody can!"

Minor corrections in an otherwise well-designed room, sort of OK'ish (which kinda defeats the object of the exercise!) So my very superficial conclusion was 'Nobody can!'

I know that there was some hype over digital room correction ages ago - but has anybody actually managed to make it work? I get the whole venue thing - PA system and dealing with a crap room, etc. But for control rooms? Wouldn't it be easier and 27.8-times cheaper to just fix the room?

Having looked now a the SonarWorks website, the fact that they only feature head-banging music hardly inspires confidence!

I just wonder how much of this esoteric fretting over perfect accoustics (always a good thing in my books!) will survive in an age where nobody goes to the cinema any more and that 'movie experience' will come from a $500 Chinese sound-bar?
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FPSnodgrass » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 pm

This is another multi-channel 'correction' option, from a well-established manufacturer:

https://jblpro.com/en/products/intonato-24
FPSnodgrass

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm

... And cheaper than the Trinnov... :think:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby csarami@ncsu.edu » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 am

Thank you guys.

There are pretty good options. I know I will find my answer here.

I just calibrated my 2.1 with reference 4 and the result is great to my taste!
csarami@ncsu.edu
Poster