You are here

Microphone hum

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Microphone hum

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Unnecessarily harsh, Dave :thumbdown:

I know the electrical basics, but haven't a clue about electronics beyond the most simple of stuff. Am I now to be 'called out' because I can't identify resistors by their colour-bands and have only the haziest of notions how a transistor works?

One doesn't need to understand how many things in life work to get pleasure and benefit from them.

But we've been around this particular circles many times before. Just accept that others aren't the same as you, but that that doesn't make them deficient or needing 'crayon drawings'.
No! I meant 'I'd' be the one using crayons! (as in I am a feeble old geezer!)

But maybe I was a bit spiky but I see knowledge as a continuum? You cannot know how to work something until showed or unless you read about it or get there by trial and error (which is how I get by with 'puters! I have been lucky to be able to bugger a few up and been taught how to re install an OS. Now I am cuter* and Windows is less brittle now anyway. )

So long as peeps keep away from mains voltages and car, high current energies they can do little harm with some GUIDED experiments. You can learn A LOT with just a DMM, two PP3s some LEDs and a few resistors!

Again, sorry if I came across as snotty...DEFFO not my intention.

*BUT! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the bloody black caps lock icon on this Lenovo screen?

Dave.

:(

Edited to fix quote - JP
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Ok Dave; thanks for explanation. :thumbup:

The dangers of t'Internet... you meant one thing; I read another. Ho hum.

Anyways; I've just dug out the Groundology gizmo and found a standard jack/3.5mm jack adapter. It will be winging it's way on Monday.

We shall see... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:40 pm

We had a communal dropbox word doc with a band I was running a few years ago where we all contributed. It eventually led to dissent as a perfectly innocent, if slightly 'witty' comment (words without the benefit of context or facial expressions) could so easily cause upset if taken the wrong way.

It's good to have you here Mike, I hope you'll continue to drop in occasionally when you finally pack up you gear again.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:20 am

Just a quick fly-by...

Awoke this morning to realise that I've been particularly crabby over the last few days - not just here. Maybe it's because I've been under the weather physically and mentally or maybe too much social-media - or all of the above. :(

Anyways... apologies again for the 'hair-trigger' response....

Moving on; we'll see how Scouser gets on with the 'Groundology'...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Just a quick fly-by...

Awoke this morning to realise that I've been particularly crabby over the last few days - not just here. Maybe it's because I've been under the weather physically and mentally or maybe too much social-media - or all of the above. :(

Anyways... apologies again for the 'hair-trigger' response....

Moving on; we'll see how Scouser gets on with the 'Groundology'...

All done and dusted Mike and I am sorry you have not been feeling well (not got a cough have you?!!) To return, if I may to the matter of "electrophobia" I am I suppose a bit raw on the subject because of my past job. I was for best part of 40 years a service tech for domestic electronics. A very large part of my job changed from repairs to installing and demonstrating and trying to teach Joe Public how to operate ever more sophisticated home electronics, the VCR being by far the most difficult to get people to understand.

The oft heard remark was "Oh! I am no good with gadgets" I always had to stifle "then WTF did you buy a top of the range VCR?"

OH! How I remember the glazed look that would come over them when I produced the instruction book!* I had a system, at every step of my demonstration I would show them the relevant page and not move on to the next logical step until I had covered the basic. I had to be very firm to resist the "Yes but show me how I ...." remarks.

Of course, most of my efforts were to no avail and I got several repeat 'service' calls that turned out to be 'finger trouble' However, more of those call were for kit I did NOT initially install than my demos!

This, "I can't do technology" claim seems to be a British trait? Even just England?

* Always A4, single language and mostly very well written and comprehensive. ('scuse me, something in my eye.....)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Scouser » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:22 am

I didn't mean to start any discord here.

I can appreciate that some may think having a MM will be a very useful thing for me.

Having said that, there have been very few instances when I have needed one, if the kettle stops working I change the fuse, 9 times out of 10 that resolves the problem, if it doesn't then I'm not going to start testing the element. I use the kettle example as someone mentioned it.

Don't get me wrong I fully appreciate the usefulness of a MM, say for testing leads etc etc, but even if I learn to diagnose a problem, with say a lead, I can't solder, so then do I learn to solder ? And on it goes, Knowledge is power for sure, but there are only so many hours in a day and when you are already working to a tight schedule, you have to weigh up, which is the most cost effective way of resolving the problem.

In an ideal world, it would be great to learn all these skills, and never need to ask any questions.

That is where SOS comes in, the only forum I use. You folks here, have helped me tremendously over the years with your answers and advice. It has always been a place I can come to ask questions. Unfortunately I still can't mix a song to save my life, perhaps i should study electronics ! Or maybe just stick with playing guitar :lol:

PS I will buy a MM, but i bet once I have, these problems will disappear forever
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:41 am

Scouser wrote:PS I will buy a MM, but i bet once I have, these problems will disappear forever
Well there you go! A cheap way to solve all your problems :bouncy:
I wish!

P.S.
In the current 'climate' I expect we're all a bit ratty and generally feeling somewhat MEH.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Here are the results of the Belgian jury:

Groundology Gizmo: 1; Hum in the system: 0

So Scouser is a happy-chappie; with the Groundology earthing his MixPre, silence reigns!

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Splendid, Mr Stranks does it again :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous