You are here

Recording of song and piano

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording of song and piano

Postby guttenor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm

I recently asked some questions regarding the recording of a couple of songs under the topic ''Classical songs''. I am now posting a recording from one of our rehearsals. Just to recollect, I used a Zoom F6 and a couple of AKG 535 EB. The room where I recorded was probably far from ideal. It's a rectangular room, about 70 square meters with a quite low ceiling.
The array I used was a NOS array. The angle between the mics was 90 degrees and the distance between them was 30 cm. I placed the array about 2.5-3 meters from the soprano and me (with the soprano standing on the left side of the SRA and the grand piano on the right side of the SRA). The soprano was not in good shape. She had slept badly and usually doesn't have this much vibrato.
The balance is good but the piano sounds terribly flat. Do you think this has to do with the room and the fact that the mics are low-end? The lid of the grand piano was also down.

Here is the recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuewl39i4ugqo ... v.wav?dl=0

best regards
Gustav
guttenor
Poster

Re: Recording of song and piano

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:05 pm

The dropbox file is mono, I'm afraid, so it's impossible to comment on the stereo recording technique...

That said, the room sounds quite dry and a bit boxy, and the piano sounds like it would benefit from a tune... But the piano/voice balance doesn't sound too bad. ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Recording of song and piano

Postby guttenor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:13 pm

guttenor
Poster