You are here

Mackie HR824 lovers, looking for some info: China? USA? Production years? MK1? MK2?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mackie HR824 lovers, looking for some info: China? USA? Production years? MK1? MK2?

Postby turbotuff » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 am

Hi guys, looking for some info from those Mackie HR824 lovers. More specifically, the MK1. So I'm looking to pick up a pair of HR824s, and it seems pretty clear that the Made in USA MK1s have the best build quality and built the reputation the HR824s are known for. However, it seems that there were a few different runs of the MK1s. From what I can gather, they were originally made in USA, then China, then back to USA? And then the MK2s were released while the MK1s were still in production?

The reason I ask is because I found a local pair of MK1s manufactured in 2012, that say Made in USA on them. Are these as good as the original Made in USA HR824s? Basically, are all Made in USA HR824s created equal? It seems interesting that they switched from USA to China, then back to USA.

Should I hold out for early, early HR824s? Or are these Made in USA ones from 2012 just as good as the originals?

All insight on this would be greatly appreciated! I did lots and lots of searching but could only find small bits of info on the topic. I'm sure some other HR824 lovers are curious as well. Thanks!!!
turbotuff
New here

Re: Mackie HR824 lovers, looking for some info: China? USA? Production years? MK1? MK2?

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 am

I had the originals when they first came out and did some good work on them. Nice speakers for the time. However, technology has moved on. You might consider broadening your horizons?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Re: Mackie HR824 lovers, looking for some info: China? USA? Production years? MK1? MK2?

Postby zenguitar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:59 am

turbotuff wrote:... it seems pretty clear that the Made in USA MK1s have the best build quality and built the reputation the HR824s are known for.

Maybe clear to you, but not to me. And definitely not self-evident, I think you really need to quote your sources rather than ask us to assume that they are correct.

China has some very sophisticated factories indeed. I understand that Detroit isn't the city it once was.

I have a feeling that the reason you can find very little about the difference between different versions is that the management of the USA company Mackie are perfectly happy that USA and Chinese factories are more than capable of delivering speakers to the correct specification.

Andy :beamup:

PS. I don't have a problem with Mackie, I have one of their mixing desks and it is a fine piece of kit. But regardless of USA or China manufacture, Mackie monitors just wouldn't make the shortlist.
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby turbotuff » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:03 am

resistorman wrote:I had the originals when they first came out and did some good work on them. Nice speakers for the time. However, technology has moved on. You might consider broadening your horizons?
I figured for what I can pay for these used, will bring me to lower tier new gear. For monitors of the same quality or better, I'd think I would have to pay much more.
turbotuff
New here

Postby turbotuff » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:05 am

resistorman wrote:I had the originals when they first came out and did some good work on them. Nice speakers for the time. However, technology has moved on. You might consider broadening your horizons?
I'm well aware that there are likely better monitors out there available now, but I will probably be spending much more money to get similar quality or better if I buy new versus being able to buy the mackie's used
turbotuff
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:29 pm

How much are you hoping to pay for a used pair?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 pm

A quick look on Ebay completed listings shows that you can pick them up for under £200 if you are lucky. If you want a pair right away then you'll need to pay more like £300.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks James. As the OP said they are probably pretty decent value for ~£200.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 pm

When you consider that they were something like £800 new then that low price looks attractive superficially. However, I wasn't particularly impressed when a client brought them into the studio as the bass seemed overblown and the overall sound wasn't revealing enough for a studio monitor. So I'd say that £200 is about right.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:58 am

James Perrett wrote:When you consider that they were something like £800 new then that low price looks attractive superficially. However, I wasn't particularly impressed when a client brought them into the studio as the bass seemed overblown and the overall sound wasn't revealing enough for a studio monitor. So I'd say that £200 is about right.

That’s how I feel about it. Like I said they were decent for their time, but even cost effective Presonus Eris would blow them out of the water now.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 am

FWIW I paid a smidge over £200 for my passive AE22s and they still seem to be regarded reasonably positively. A cheap second hand hifi amp to drive them gets some pretty reasonable monitoring for quite a reasonable price IMO.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons