You are here

Your Opinion: Best Noise Removal Software

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Your Opinion: Best Noise Removal Software

Postby Argiletonne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:39 am

What is the best noise removal software based on your experience using different brands of plugins available today?

Noise Removal:
Such a simple tool, yet powerful and difference making, if it works.

Do people even use noise removal anymore,
now that users know to go digital if they want a more crisp high tech sound?
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Re: Your Opinion: Best Noise Removal Software

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:03 am

I use Izotope RX Elements, but only to tidy up files recorded in noisy conditions - generally for videos and podcasts.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:47 am

'Noise' is a very varied and variable thing, and different kinds of 'noise' need different tools and techniques for its successful removal.

I'd say the very best suite of noise-removal tools is made by CEDAR, but they are fearsomely expensive.

The best suite in the more affordable sector is undoubtedly the iZotope RX suite, but bear in mind that the lower-cost variations are less well equipped than the full-fat version.

Many other 'noise-reduction' tools are available, of course, and their capabilities vary, as does their suitability to any particular example of noise. And, as always, the outcomes depends a lot of the technique of application.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:59 pm

I'm assuming that we are talking about continuous noise here like hiss or hum.

I'd have to agree that Izotope RX has the best noise reduction available at an affordable price (ie: less than Cedar). I'd suggest taking advantage of the current RX Elements offer ($29 or £25 from certain UK dealers) and then upgrading to RX Standard when a good offer comes along for that. RX Elements has Voice Denoise while standard has Spectral Denoise which is more versatile.

The next best is Adobe Audition and possibly Waves Z-Noise (it seems OK but haven't spent long enough with it to be sure) while everything else I've heard isn't worth paying for because there are free alternatives like ReaFIR that work just as well.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby RichardT » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Argiletonne wrote:What is the best noise removal software based on your experience using different brands of plugins available today?

Noise Removal:
Such a simple tool, yet powerful and difference making, if it works.

Do people even use noise removal anymore,
now that users know to go digital if they want a more crisp high tech sound?

Yes, people still do noise removal.

If it’s just a one-off requirement, you could easily pay someone to do it for you rather than buying software yourself.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Argiletonne wrote:Do people even use noise removal anymore...

If noise is an issue and a finished recording would benefit, then yes, it is still used...

But it isn't -- or shouldn't normally be -- something to be employed as a standard process. If there are issues with a noisy source then it's obviously better to improve the quality of the source where ever possible.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 pm

I've used some plugs bundled with Wavelab - Sonnox denoiser and de clicker, I think. Also a couple of the Waves plugins. Mainly to attempt to clean up tape hiss from old recordings or noise from poorly recorded DI'd guitars along with assorted unwanted clicks bangs and pops. also for cleaning up field recordings, bits of dialogue + spoken word.

Varying degrees of (lack of) success with these prompted me to get Izotope RX7 standard a little while back. It's so much better. I could get reasonable results quite quickly. Still a lot to learn with it though - it's quite a big toolbox. IMO well worth it if you are doing much remedial work on audio.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby dustin.newman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Using software to clean the sounds looks pretty nice, but in my opinion, I would say it looks like a digital zoom. What I mean is, using the similarity of digital zoom vs lent zoom, always lent zoom will keep better the quality of the image.

Noise cancellation using software vs a good microphone or good noise isolation will always bring more quality to your music than using the software, I would say.
dustin.newman
Poster
The only common language is Music.

Always looking for the best Head Phones

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:23 pm

I like the izotope RX elements. Sounds great.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 16&t=73319
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster