You are here

Anyone use a Stream Deck controller?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Anyone use a Stream Deck controller?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm

I'd never heard of these until I stumbled across them on YT yesterday. Very cheap and a lot of fun by the look of them.You can get them with different numbers of button, this vid shows a really tiny one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVkxaaRPiVE
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Anyone use a Stream Deck controller?

Postby BJG145 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:50 pm

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:18 pm

I have a StreamDeck mini which I use configured for transport controls in Reaper. Setting it up using the app is very easy, you can assign any key press or combination to any button and display an appropriate icon on the button. You can also have scenes for different jobs with different functions for tracking and editing for example. Great little device. But I've since discovered (of course I knew they existed but it never occurred to me to use on for that job :headbang: ) you can also buy a wireless numeric keypad for 1/3rd the price and assign the keys on that to perform the required functions in Reaper so that may be a better option for many. The other issue I have with the mini is the form factor, it is wedge shaped with the buttons on a steeply upward sloped surface and even though it is a fairly weighty little thing with a soft rubber base it does sometimes slide away from your finger when you press a button. Something with a much flatter profile would work better (like the full sized ScreenDeck).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:24 pm

I must admit I though about the sliding issue when I saw whatsisname Mitchelmore using one.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm

StreamDeck is one of those 'best kept secrets'. I try to tell people, but I see them glaze over! :lol:

Yep, my entire live rig runs under the control of a StreamDeck. Velcro-ed solidly to my master keyboard, it handles song/state switching, backing track control and talk mic status. I try to keep it simple in this context, since the fewer buttons the better. I have a timer/stop-watch and a clock on two buttons to keep an eye on my set timing. All nice solid (not squishy) buttons and full-colour backlit display. You can design your own icons, or just go find a few freebies and edit to taste, which is my approach. I believe you can even animate the buttons now, but I'm not sure and I haven't tried.

I use it in the studio to run Cubase Macros and to handle Control Room.

I also use it for Zoom meetings to join/leave, mute/un-mute mic & camera.

I wouldn't be without it. I've seriously considered getting the larger one, but I feel that the 5x3 is actually optimal for my needs. I think they've got their marketing and support a bit skewed, since it concentrates on gaming/streaming stuff, none of which means a thing to me, and this did put me off for a while. Once I took the plunge I never looked back - you can ignore all that gaming-centric rubbish - you can even hide the irrelevant stuff from the button creation menus.

It's actually quite addictive. Once you realise what you can do with one of these things you can head down a rabbit hole! I'm currently considering setting up a few buttons to handle my studio's Hue lights.

I can help if you get stuck - I'm not an expert, by any stretch, but I can pretty much make the StreamDeck do anything I need.

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have a StreamDeck mini which I use configured for transport controls in Reaper. Setting it up using the app is very easy, you can assign any key press or combination to any button and display an appropriate icon on the button. You can also have scenes for different jobs with different functions for tracking and editing for example. Great little device. But I've since discovered (of course I knew they existed but it never occurred to me to use on for that job :headbang: ) you can also buy a wireless numeric keypad for 1/3rd the price and assign the keys on that to perform the required functions in Reaper so that may be a better option for many. The other issue I have with the mini is the form factor, it is wedge shaped with the buttons on a steeply upward sloped surface and even though it is a fairly weighty little thing with a soft rubber base it does sometimes slide away from your finger when you press a button. Something with a much flatter profile would work better (like the full sized ScreenDeck).

+1

Wireless numeric keypad, with scotch-taped routing symbols on the configured keys, and velcro on the back side so I can attach it to the mic stand. Works a charm and costs very little.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes i use keyboard shortcuts in Logic for everything. Can't really convince myself I need a Stream Deck, cool as they look with the customised controls etc!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:52 pm

I definitely like the custom icons, if it was wireless it'd be nigh on perfect. As it is I can't just carry to over to the keyboards or drum kit :frown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 pm

I will agree that it's not cheap for what it is, but the clear, backlit buttons do earn their keep on stage.

And, most importantly, you can do this ;) :D :
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby zenguitar » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:07 am

Ramping up your brownie points I see. :lol:

I am very tempted, but resisting until I actually have my life and gear sorted and ready to go.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Zukan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 am

Dunno man, the way 2020's going that Steam Deck could be a Decepticon in disguise.
Zukan