You are here

My Presonus StudioLive 24 finally bugged out. Help me pick a replacement

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

My Presonus StudioLive 24 finally bugged out. Help me pick a replacement

Postby Crossfire Production Studios » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Soooo... I need a new mixer, specifically for the studio. The studiolive 24 has finally went the way of the dodo. It has some internal digital issues that I cannot resolve with firmware resets or anything. If I had a guess, the power rail on the A/D Converters got corrupted... somehow? It just makes a lot of digital noise on the inputs only. Like it sounds like someone plugged an Atari into it lol. Seems more like a software/firmware issue than a hardware issue. It's a very solid board and I've plugged and unplugged things to it less than a dozen times in its life. So I don't think there's anything physically broken in it, unless like the A/D power rails somehow just deteriorate over time or something. Maybe a brownout killed something in it, even though it's going through a Monster Pro 900? I dunno. Frustrating lol.

I'm eyeing the QU 24, the Si Impact/Expression, and the newer Presonus 32SX/SC.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the QU, but it's a 7 year old product, even though the still seem to be updating their firmware and stuff as of 2018. How's Allen and Heath as a company and do they support and back their products well?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a non-motorized mixer that can still get me all the inputs I need via USB, I'm very interested. If I could save $1000 and get the same thing, or maybe pay the same price but get better preamps, I'd very much consider it. Motorized faders in the recording studio are fancy and neat, but a low priority as I'm mostly a mouse/keyboard warrior :)

Win 10 Pro
Cubase 10 Pro, mostly Waves plugins, Steven Slate Drums in there too (eww..)
Intel 9700k
32 GB ram
3 SSD's
Crossfire Production Studios
New here

Re: My Presonus StudioLive 24 finally bugged out. Help me pick a replacement

Postby Crossfire Production Studios » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:51 pm

You can tell how out of the loop I am. It doesn't look like a StudioLive 24 equivalent really exists anymore. I thought maybe the Zed series was the closest thing (even though it's an analog board), but that's only 4x2 over USB which is just not gonna cut it.

Does anyone have any perspective on the Si-Impact? That one seems odd as it has better IO and seems to be a larger model, but it's actually cheaper than the SI-Expression.

I'm starting to see the SQ-5 as an excellent option as well. It's smaller than the other ones, but it's getting fresh support and maintenance from Allen and Heath (new update last week looks excellent).

I've edited the post as per your note! - ED
Crossfire Production Studios
New here

Postby DGL. » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 pm

vis-à-vis reliability of the StudioLive series, PSU issues seem rater common and I think most people ditched theirs when the X32 came out as from what I can ascertain it was better in every conceivable way whilst costing no more.

One of the X32 range should fit the bill if 96k is not required, not used it personally but I have the smallest X-AIR mixer (XR12) and it's excellent.
Go slightly more upmarket and the Midas M32R has 16+6 inputs and 8+6 outputs (without an S/DL stagebox attached), comes with a combined USB AI and SD multitrack recorder as standard (as do all the X/M32 range, with 32X32 channels), up to 32+6 mixable channels total iirc and comes with a 10yr warranty. £1,725 at Thomann.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:47 am

Another X32 user here, it is excellent. WRT motorised faders I doubt you'll find anything digital without them these days (assuming it has them at all). Berry proved it could be done at a reasonable price and all the others had to catch up to stay in the game.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 am

Crossfire Production Studios wrote:
Does anyone have any perspective on the Si-Impact? That one seems odd as it has better IO and seems to be a larger model, but it's actually cheaper than the SI-Expression.

I've edited the post as per your note! - ED

There are three SI Expressions to choose from, with 16, 24 or 32 physical inputs. The Impact comes in only a 32 input version. The Expressions have 14, 22 or 30 faders per layer, plus Mono and L/R, while the Impact has 24, plus Mono and L/R.

The Impact also has some added features:
Four fully parametric bands of EQ, with high and low bands switchable to shelving, compared to the Expression’s two parametric bands plus high and low shelving.
Eight mute groups, as opposed to four on the Expression.
Eight VCAs (actually DCAs), where the Expression has none.
LED scribble-strips, which the Expression lacks.

The Expression has a row of encoders, which can be assigned to Gain, HPF or Pan. These are not present on the Impact.

On the whole, the Impact is more fully-featured. I’ve used both extensively in live settings and am very familiar with them, but it must be said that some engineers really dislike them.
djangodeadman
Regular