You are here

Advice re recording acoustic with the mics I have- SM58, SM57 or AKG C1000S

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Advice re recording acoustic with the mics I have- SM58, SM57 or AKG C1000S

Postby forumuser834714 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 am

Hi I'm doing a (distanced) acoustic guitar recording next week.

Using a Guild D4 NT (fairly loud and middly) new strings sounds bold and sweet. It's just me recording and playing so I want to try to get a good set-up as soon as possible as I'll spend ALL day fiddling.

It has a Seymour Duncan acoustitube pickup in the sound hole which I plan to ignore.

I'm planning on using two of my mics

one nearer the soundhole pointed toward the end of the fretboard

one about a foot apart and a foot away at the upper bout of the body.

Which of the mics would you use in which position for best blend?

PS I have a Focusrite Platinum Strip. Should I use this as a preamp for mild tube and comp? or will it be distraction?

PPS I have two rooms I can use - one with wooden floors which is slightly resonant and big, and the little study which is really soundproofed dead. the study is more convenient

thanks

Rich
forumuser834714

Re: Advice re recording acoustic with the mics I have- SM58, SM57 or AKG C1000S

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:52 am

I think this is going to be a case of experiment and see what works best.

Acoustic guitars normally record better when you have a reflective (wooden) floor to bounce some sound back to the mic, so I'd definitely try the bigger room.

And I'd probably start with the C1000 up on the fretboard looking down towards the neck join, and the SM57 down at the tail looking at the body of the instrument... but you'll need to experiment with positions, angles and distances to find a blend that captures the guitar to your satisfaction.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser834714 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:11 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think this is going to be a case of experiment and see what works best.

Acoustic guitars normally record better when you have a reflective (wooden) floor to bounce some sound back to the mic, so I'd definitely try the bigger room.

And I'd probably start with the C1000 up on the fretboard looking down towards the neck join, and the SM57 down at the tail looking at the body of the instrument... but you'll need to experiment with positions, angles and distances to find a blend that captures the guitar to your satisfaction.

thank you that's helpful.

I'm really looking for recommendations about a good starting point and you've offered that - thanks again.

It matters on this track because, unusually for my material, the acoustic leads the track for the first half and so is exposed. Just looking for a lovely clear clear folk/americana dreadnought style sound.
forumuser834714

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Fresh guitar strings!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Hugh has said the important stuff.

Are you planning to record in stereo or mix the two elements to mono?

I wouldn't bother with the F/r box. It might be useful if you wanted to add a third mic and use that as a preamp to line input if you have one but in itself it doesn't really solve any problems and it's not really good enough to be a creative tool in this instance.

Record the soundhole pickup as well if you do have a spare line in. This is not the time to limit your easy options, that's a choice for later.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Agreed! Absolutely record the pickup if you can. Just set a level, check that it’s recording well, and forget about it. Don’t listen to it while recording or listening, concentrate on the mics. You might find it really helpful later.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:49 pm

forumuser834714 wrote:PS I have a Focusrite Platinum Strip. Should I use this as a preamp for mild tube and comp? or will it be distraction?

PPS I have two rooms I can use - one with wooden floors which is slightly resonant and big, and the little study which is really soundproofed dead. the study is more convenient

Definitely the larger room if the guitar is alone.

Spend your time finding a good spot. A long headphone cable and a wireless keypad for remote-controlling the DAW are a must of recording acoustic guitars! :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page