You are here

Behringer X Air 12

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:44 am

After much though and still not getting a bigger interface, I was thinking of getting the Behringer UC18, but thinking about it the X Air may be better, as it will give me mixing ability too, and it’s not that much more money, it also has lots of decent FX.
What I’m worried about is I’ve heard the internal router isn’t very good, and I’m still a bit phobic about i Pad based systems, and redundancy etc.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am

I don't know mu ch about computers Arp' but I DO know you can run an external router TX from an ethernet port coz I done it. Ran a 4pr to a TP-Link wireless box half way down my hall to get wi fi to a camera in the garden.

I bet you have at least one old router somewhere? I have about 3! Net one to the Behrry* and put it up high, should go 50mtrs no sweat?

*Has MIDI forsooth!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12010
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:00 am

I'm not an owner/user but so believe the XAir series can be connected to a regular PC by ethernet which would take care of both those concerns - no WiFi, no iPad.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5034
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am

ef37a wrote:I don't know mu ch about computers Arp' but I DO know you can run an external router TX from an ethernet port coz I done it. Ran a 4pr to a TP-Link wireless box half way down my hall to get wi fi to a camera in the garden.

I bet you have at least one old router somewhere? I have about 3! Net one to the Behrry* and put it up high, should go 50mtrs no sweat?

*Has MIDI forsooth!

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I’m still a bit nervous about all this, I’ve gone ITB before but now it’s a bit more complicated, I’m worried about latency when multi-tracking, it’s never been an issue before as I’ve only ever recorded straight to stereo in one take, and now I want to record multiple inputs, and possibly over-dub, but is latency a thing of the past these days?
I’ve always used a mixer for direct monitoring but I don’t want or need to do that anymore hopefully.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 am

shufflebeat wrote:I'm not an owner/user but so believe the XAir series can be connected to a regular PC by ethernet which would take care of both those concerns - no WiFi, no iPad.
As stated PC numpty here shuffs but will a laptop act then as a wireless re-radiator to give better coverage to the iPad?

I would have thought a £30 wireless router (if he doesn't already have one) would be better and can be stuck up high. We did similar with a Trazport MIDI controller. Extended the dongle and hung it seven feet up the wall. Son could then sit in the acoustically better living room but start/stop the PC DAW remotely.

Cannot help you much further matey, others will but do you not have the equivalent of our Distance Trading Regs? Make sure you unpack the unit carefully and only breakout cables etc you really need. Then, get all your ducks in a row before it comes. You have two weeks here but I would have thought just 2 or 3 days of concentrated testing, with SOS assistance, would tell you if it goes or stays?

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12010
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am

ef37a wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:I'm not an owner/user but so believe the XAir series can be connected to a regular PC by ethernet which would take care of both those concerns - no WiFi, no iPad.
As stated PC numpty here shuffs but will a laptop act then as a wireless re-radiator to give better coverage to the iPad?

I would have thought a £30 wireless router (if he doesn't already have one) would be better and can be stuck up high. We did similar with a Trazport MIDI controller. Extended the dongle and hung it seven feet up the wall. Son could then sit in the acoustically better living room but start/stop the PC DAW remotely.

Dave

Ha! :D
This is to use in my basement Dave, the ceiling isn’t 7ft high!
I’m thinking of the Air 12 as it doesn’t take up much space, and still gives me mixer functionality.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

It really isn't worth the hassle mucking around with routers and stuff, IMHO - just wire it. I've found the Ethernet connection to be reliable.

You can get latency-free by routing back through the mixer, not going via your DAW, just as you would with any mixer.

I'd go the extra mile and get the XR18, rather than the XR12 - the XR12 only allows stereo recording to a DAW, while the XR18 sends all 18 channels separately.

If you find you really need knobs and faders then you can add an X-Touch some time.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14880
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am

I'm in 100% agreement with The Elf on this. :thumbup:
User avatar
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2106
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Exiled to St Helens

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:59 am

Elf is right on the mark here. I have the XR18, with an X-Touch for physical faders, there's nothing worse when playing live than trying to find the right onscreen fader on a small screen when something is feeding back.

I do have an external router though for when I'm doing live and theatre sound, as it lets me wonder around the venue and check the balance. But that's not the primary control surface. Laptop and X-Touch are connected to the router via ethernet cables.

The X-Touch can also control your DAW, with one button to switch between mixer control and DAW control. Great setup.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:53 pm

The Elf wrote:It really isn't worth the hassle mucking around with routers and stuff, IMHO - just wire it. I've found the Ethernet connection to be reliable.

You can get latency-free by routing back through the mixer, not going via your DAW, just as you would with any mixer.

I'd go the extra mile and get the XR18, rather than the XR12 - the XR12 only allows stereo recording to a DAW, while the XR18 sends all 18 channels separately.

If you find you really need knobs and faders then you can add an X-Touch some time.

Thanks a million for that Elf, you’ve saved my bacon. I’ll investigate the XR18, I guess I just use USB to connect to the computer?
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 pm

When I use mine for recording I hook up to the laptop with USB and Ethernet. The Ethernet controls the mixer whilst the USB is to transfer audio from the XR18 to the DAW. I haven't, so far, used my X Fader with the XR18 (that's permanently hooked up to the studio PC)
User avatar
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2106
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Exiled to St Helens

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Music Wolf wrote:When I use mine for recording I hook up to the laptop with USB and Ethernet. The Ethernet controls the mixer whilst the USB is to transfer audio from the XR18 to the DAW. I haven't, so far, used my X Fader with the XR18 (that's permanently hooked up to the studio PC)

I’m a bit confused, I thought my I Pad would communicate via wireless?
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m a bit confused, I thought my I Pad would communicate via wireless?

I think we've all assumed that you are going to be recording onto your computer. In which case there's no need for an iPad as you can control the mixer from the PC.

Or are you wanting to record onto the iPad?
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9671
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:37 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m a bit confused, I thought my I Pad would communicate via wireless?

I think we've all assumed that you are going to be recording onto your computer. In which case there's no need for an iPad as you can control the mixer from the PC.

Or are you wanting to record onto the iPad?

Ah, OK, in that case I’ll be recording to the computer using USB and "controlling" the unit via Ethernet?
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:It really isn't worth the hassle mucking around with routers and stuff, IMHO - just wire it. I've found the Ethernet connection to be reliable.

You can get latency-free by routing back through the mixer, not going via your DAW, just as you would with any mixer.

I'd go the extra mile and get the XR18, rather than the XR12 - the XR12 only allows stereo recording to a DAW, while the XR18 sends all 18 channels separately.

If you find you really need knobs and faders then you can add an X-Touch some time.
Thanks a million for that Elf, you’ve saved my bacon. I’ll investigate the XR18, I guess I just use USB to connect to the computer?
USB for audio, Ethernet for control.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14880
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Next