You are here

Behringer X Air 12

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Behringer X Air 12

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:56 pm

I can't help but think we're already heading down a specific path which might exclude some more appropriate options.

What do you reckon your main in/out requirements are going to be and are you already wed to one DAW or another?

I've toyed with the idea of buying one of the XR boxes as they are super-compact and possibly more future-proof than others but the thing that stopped me was integrating it into my existing recording setup. There are more appropriate options (for me - couple of mic/lines, midi) for that.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:11 pm

shufflebeat wrote:I can't help but think we're already heading down a specific path which might exclude some more appropriate options.

What do you reckon your main in/out requirements are going to be and are you already wed to one DAW or another?

I've toyed with the idea of buying one of the XR boxes as they are super-compact and possibly more future-proof than others but the thing that stopped me was integrating it into my existing recording setup. There are more appropriate options (for me - couple of mic/lines, midi) for that.

I'm still considering the Behringer UMC18 interface, it’s pretty straightforward, and future proof, the XR18 worries me in this respect. I was thinking of it in terms of an interface, with a mixer if needed.
I need a maximum of 8 line inputs, no mic's, and Midi, up until now I’ve been a hardware mixer guy, this’ll be my first foray into purely ITB recording.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Processing and mixing is going to be a whole lot more flexible, repeatable and expandable if you spend a little time transferring your existing skills to the DAW compared to adapting an ITB system to look like a hardware one.

There's a "community" facility not far from me where people can engage in music projects. They were donated or bought some quite decent gear from a studio which was updating from tape/ADAT (I assume) to ITB. Because they had a nice computer and no expertise in maintaining the recorders they cobbled a hybrid system together which ended up being much more complicated than it needed to be and ultimately defeated the object of being accessible to the public. An hour of computer education would have been far more useful and productive for all.

The XR box is very handy, I might still end up with one when my dl1608 finally parts ways with Windows updates but the other box looks like it has more of what you need (inc expandable inputs) and less of what you can't really use without getting messy.

As far as FX is concerned - everything you need and more is pretty standard in all DAWs anyway.

Just my sestertius worth.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:47 pm

I know, my head's hurting already, I’m going to get the UMC18, it’s just an interface, I understand those.
I just bought a patch bay to solve my input issues, and pedal spaghetti, I’ve got all my instruments normalled to the interface inputs, with all my pedals and effects alongside, there’s nothing more to do. I'm just glad I ran this by you folks.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Stratman57 wrote:Elf is right on the mark here. I have the XR18, with an X-Touch for physical faders, there's nothing worse when playing live than trying to find the right onscreen fader on a small screen when something is feeding back.
The X-Touch can also control your DAW, with one button to switch between mixer control and DAW control. Great setup.

Regards, Simon.

You've just given me a great idea for a home-studio setup: XR18 + X-touch. I can't justify buying an X32 at the moment, but it seems that these 2 boxes would do almost the same job, what say you?

Do you use this setup in a studio environment, by any chance?
FrankF
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:49 pm

For a home studio, yes, that's how I use it. I originally got the XR18 so I could record my band on our gigs, but give me the option to remix later, previously I'd had to record the front of house mix via a well placed Zoom H4 recorder.

At home, ther're enough inputs for my Xiosynth, Roland HPD10, GR50, Alesis Performance pad, mic input and a guitar DI. Of course if you have a load of hardware synths that need more than 16 inputs then maybe one of the X32 variants would be better.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:28 pm

These X Air things are just basically mixers that we used to use, without knobs and faders.
My old I pad has stopped working, so I have to get a new one, all this is done just to sell us even more stuff, to do what we’ve done already, but using more convoluted more complicated stuff that pretends to be easier........ :? :? :? :? :?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Other interpretations are available...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Stratman57 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 am

OK, you buy the Behringer audio interface, then, you decide you need something else, if you get the XR18, you've got an audio interface with ASIO drivers, which will work just as well as the one you've decided on, but you'll have so much more potential if you want a live mixer, with snapshots,and other stored stuff. I have snapshots stored for studio recording, studio play back, live recording etc. all at the push of a button in the XR18 edit software app on Windows 10.

Think about the future. You wouldn't need a patch bay. Although from your previous posts, an X32 console would fit right into your available space. I didn't get one at the time I got the XR18 because I didn't have the cash.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:08 am

I do like a problem with several possible appropriate solutions.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am

Definitely more satisfactory than several solutions all looking for a problem to solve... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:28 am

shufflebeat wrote:I do like a problem with several possible appropriate solutions.

:D :D :D

I don’t have the space now for a X32, also, I don’t intend to play live using what I use in the studio, I have a small analogue mixer for that. I'm going to get the UC18, if I need to expand in the future I’ll just get an ADA2000, I may get one now anyway.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Definitely more satisfactory than several solutions all looking for a problem to solve... :D

My house is full of them. :)
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Previous