You are here

Podcast gear on the go

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Podcast gear on the go

Postby BenDeGoose » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:01 pm

Hello lovely sound geeks
could someone give an A2B answer/solution to the question: what is the most reliable interface to use for making interviews.
here is the "deal": I need to make interviews "on the go" (not in studio environ). I got two lav mics and/or XLR mics, I got two headphones, and a MacBook. I'd like to put all these together, so when I meet someone, I can clip on one mic on me (as host), one on the guest, use both headphones to listen to what we are saying in "real time", and record in two channels on the MacBook Pro.
i have been searching for the right "unit" to make this set up work, but either there is only one mic output or one headphone input instead of two or the software is too complicated to download (Behringer) or the unit is a cheap plastic... etc.
can anyone give a tip WHICH interface is the ONE...?
cheers
BenDeGoose

Re: Podcast gear on the go

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm

I'd have a look at something like a Zoom H4n. Twin XLR inputs (with phantom power), works as an interface, can record stereo or multi-track (but only 16bit). Does go through batteries fairly quickly when it's providing phantom, but it takes standard AAs so you can always get hold of spares. And the built in mics aren't bad either (if you ever run into problems with the lavaliers).
The next one up (5n) gives you the ability to do 4 tracks at 24bit I think.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ronmac » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:14 am

RME Babyface Pro has everything you need.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby ceejay » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 pm

... take a look at the Rodecaster Pro - and throw the Mac away :lol:
4 x mic inputs
4 x headphone outs
Stereo and multitrack record to SD card ...

https://www.rode.com/rodecasterpro
ceejay
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Why do you need headphones? Unless it's a very noisy environment* just record the interview as if it was a simple conversation. Your interviewees will be much more comfortable without headphones and you'll get a much more natural conversation.

If you really do need headphones (but see above, why?) you probably don't need two headphone mixes so, if you two identical pairs of headphones, a simple splitter would get the job done.

I also don't understand why "or the software is too complicated to download " I've never had any difficulty downloading Behringer software or firmware but even if it is complex you only need to do so once...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 pm

I agree about the headphones. Unless your interviewee needs to hear some live playback material during the interview you'd be better off forgetting all about headphones for the interviewee. It will just distract them and get in the way of a natural conversation.

It would be useful to wear them yourself, if using lag mics, just to catch any clothes rustling problems.

Personally, I'd record with a standalone recorder/mixer -- it's neater, quicker, easier and quieter. Use the laptop just for archiving the audio files and any subsequent editing and uploading.

The various Zoom recorders are all quite good, but my preference would be for one of the Sound Devices MixPre models -- probably the MixPre3 in your case.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound