You are here

Patch bay wiring?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Patch bay wiring?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:40 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Orchid electronics will make you custom cables for a very reasonable price.

I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’m quite capable of making these myself, trouble is, I just can’t be bothered.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Me too... but sometimes, if you haven't got all the right bits to hand, getting a professional to do the job.

It’s really bad, I’ve got loads of cable, plugs, soldering stuff etc, but my soldering iron is actually rusty, I haven’t used it for so long, my dexterity, and vision aren't what they used to be either.
Shame about COVID, I’d invite Max down for a day, I could pick him up in my "death Sled" buy him a beer in a country pub and pay him for his time, but hopefully, I’ll sort it out today.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Orchid electronics will make you custom cables for a very reasonable price.
I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’m quite capable of making these myself, trouble is, I just can’t be bothered.
:blush: :blush: :blush:
Me too... but sometimes, if you haven't got all the right bits to hand, getting a professional to do the job.
:think:

no need to blush, I quite enjoy soldering up big stuff like XLRs or 1/4" jacks, I find it theraputic. But 3.5mm & MIDI Din I would buy in as cables are so cheap these days and I cant be bothered fiddling with the small stuff.
For special cables I am not adverse to buying in and cutting one end off for customisation.
My patch bay is Behringer, 15 years old with no problems.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:44 pm

All OK!
Just finished :-|
Seemed that my old amplifier didn’t like being in the basement, and was picking up all sorts of rubbish, I added all my things back one by one, and everything now works fine with my Behringer active monitors, completely silent in fact.
Optimised wiring and checked interface settings, although I don’t think it was anything to do with the UMC1820, I got rid of some hardware I wasn’t using, and generally tidied up.
I tried swapping my old KEF transmission lines and Quad amp, down in the basement, but it’s too small, and squashed in, the amplifier definitely didn’t like it, it was picking up all sorts of interference, even though the preamp wasn’t switched on, I’ve taken them back upstairs, where they work fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm

That's surely earned a beer! :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 pm

:thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:27 am

blinddrew wrote:That's surely earned a beer! :thumbup:

I had one beer, and went to bed! Too tired.
Just a few bits to do today, looks like I need a few more jack leads, even though I’ve got rid of stuff! Moved a few things, so lead lengths have changed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:12 am

Arpangel wrote:
blinddrew wrote:That's surely earned a beer! :thumbup:

I had one beer, and went to bed! Too tired.
Just a few bits to do today, looks like I need a few more jack leads, even though I’ve got rid of stuff! Moved a few things, so lead lengths have changed.

Two days ago I fitted three 6.35mm TRS plugs to cables, each one took a good ten minutes and I would not GIVE them to anyone else. Electrically sound* but shoddy slodderin!

Today I have to fit the fourth plug and then two XLR 3 females that I robbed off cables months ago to send two cables to son..HATE plundering cables for bits! Why I have bins and bins of the *****s I suppose?

*Arp', I trust you are checking your work as you go for continuity, shorts and polarity?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:24 am

Arpangel wrote:I had one beer, and went to bed!
That's a big night for me these days! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:58 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I had one beer, and went to bed!
That's a big night for me these days! :)
I see I’m in the right place too!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 am

Something er......interesting happened late on Friday, forgot to mention.
We had a terrific storm here while I was wiring up the studio, all of a sudden there was a flash of lightning, and a big spark jumped from one of the patch bays to to the rack case, in made a loud cracking sound, I was holding a patch cable at the time that was plugged into the bay, but I didn’t get a shock. My head was inside the back of the rack, it startled me to say the least.
I really don’t know what caused this, I can remember back in my GPO days, when there was a storm it was exciting in the MDF room, the racks used to flash and spark during a storm, it reminded me of this.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:33 am

Arpangel wrote:Something er......interesting happened late on Friday, forgot to mention.
We had a terrific storm here while I was wiring up the studio, all of a sudden there was a flash of lightning, and a big spark jumped from one of the patch bays to to the rack case, in made a loud cracking sound, I was holding a patch cable at the time that was plugged into the bay, but I didn’t get a shock. My head was inside the back of the rack, it startled me to say the least.
I really don’t know what caused this, I can remember back in my GPO days, when there was a storm it was exciting in the MDF room, the racks used to flash and spark during a storm, it reminded me of this.

Change of underpants job? Now, I am not unduly bothered by thunderstorms, (loved them as a kid) but I think if one started up whilst I was attached to large areas of metal I would cease and desist PD bloody Q!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:56 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Something er......interesting happened late on Friday, forgot to mention.

Change of underpants job? Now, I am not unduly bothered by thunderstorms, (loved them as a kid) but I think if one started up whilst I was attached to large areas of metal I would cease and desist PD bloody Q!

Dave.

The only damage I suffered was bashing my head on the top of the rack it made me jump!
It’s not for the faint hearted, my basement, it’s liable to flooding, has dodgy electrics, and seems susceptible to lightning ingress. It’s a very atmospheric studio environment though, I’ve put a small disco ball on the rafters, and added a few decorative lamps, it sounds great now, I’ve filled up the arches with large boxes filled with bubble wrap, that we had lying around, my monitors sound great now, and I’ve got a dehumidifier running when I’m not down there, and I have the window open when I’m recording, I can hear the birds in the garden, it’s great.
As I’ve said before, when things calm down, next summer you must all come to Angel Towers for a BBQ, just remember to bring a hard hat and rubber boots!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 am

Arpangel wrote:All OK!
Jcompletely silent in fact.

Now try turning them on ??? ;)

Good to hear you're sorted , since leaving the audio game, and going salaried doing real engineering , there isn't enough money in the world to make me solder a patch bay ever again...

D-Sub loomed Bantams or sod off...

;)

I'm currently ignoring emails from strangers asking to give me money for wisdom i'm doing my level best to forget. But I'd come out of my cave for you Tony.... but I'll drive myself ....... the way our collective luck has run over the years..... I daren't get in the car with you driving..... ;)
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:36 am

:bouncy:

Wise man! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:
Arpangel wrote:All OK!
Jcompletely silent in fact.

Now try turning them on ??? ;)

Good to hear you're sorted , since leaving the audio game, and going salaried doing real engineering , there isn't enough money in the world to make me solder a patch bay ever again...

D-Sub loomed Bantams or sod off...

;)

I'm currently ignoring emails from strangers asking to give me money for wisdom i'm doing my level best to forget. But I'd come out of my cave for you Tony.... but I'll drive myself ....... the way our collective luck has run over the years..... I daren't get in the car with you driving..... ;)

Ha Ha! I think I’m OK now, but many thanks for the offer, you’ll have to come down next summer anyway, it’ll be great to meet people again, some of which I haven’t met at all.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous