You are here

SDC mic query

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:26 am

ef37a wrote:"My own reslo brilliantly serviced by xaudia

Dave.

Great guy, he serviced a pair of BBC Marconi ribbons for me, fantastic service if anyone needs repairs.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5800
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: SDC mic query

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:44 am

Recorded my first album and ep too. :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12021
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:47 am

Arpangel wrote:my MKH's are very good, but if you’re not careful they can sound a bit hard, or brittle... I’ve heard this complaint occasionally from clients who know nothing, and expereinced engineers.

Unlike so many mics, the MKHs really do have a pretty flat response rather than an HF peak, and in my experience complaints of hard or brittle are most usually related to inappropriate mic placement or the source/environment, rather than the mic itself.

But in situations where close-miking, for example, is necessary, a darker-sounding mic may well be a better option.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29028
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:my MKH's are very good, but if you’re not careful they can sound a bit hard, or brittle... I’ve heard this complaint occasionally from clients who know nothing, and expereinced engineers.

Unlike so many mics, the MKHs really do have a pretty flat response rather than an HF peak, and in my experience complaints of hard or brittle are most usually related to inappropriate mic placement or the source/environment, rather than the mic itself.

But in situations where close-miking, for example, is necessary, a darker-sounding mic may well be a better option.

Yes, I’m not a big fan of the MKH on acoustic guitar, they work superbly on our Marimba, piano, accordions, as you say, some situations may require a more "coloured" darker sounding mic.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5800
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: SDC mic query

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 am

Seems I'm coming to this thread a bit late.....

I have about 14 x MKH mics in my kit as well as several Microtech Gefell, Neumann and Calrec.

I always advise trying first and most of the good manufacturers / dealers have mics available to borrow to try out. There is certainly no problem getting any Gefell mic. to try and I know Neumann and Schoeps also do this.

It *is* always worth properly investing in microphones - they are a mature technology and will never really need replacing or updating (unless you go to the budget end) - some of my MKH microphones are 35 years old, still going strong, and you can buy the same mic. today (but by early MKH were about £350 each when I bought them in 1985).

So - work out what you can afford, get a short list, and borrow the demo models to see if they do what you want. :thumbup:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: SDC mic query

Postby MOF » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:07 pm

early MKH were about £350 each when I bought them in 1985
That was a good price, by 1992 they were £800@.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:06 pm

... and £1400 now! :shifty:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29028
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SDC mic query

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... and £1400 now! :shifty:

The MKH 40 series went up to almost £2,000 each at one point - but then came down again.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Lupez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::clap: :thumbup:

The TF5 really is a very impressive mic, and proof -- if any were still needed -- that Rode are now able to compete head-on with the long established European and American mic manufacturers.... And win in some cases!

Hi Hugh
would you help me choose between the TF5 and a pair of AA OC18, for recording acoustic guitar (mainly steel strings but not necessarily).

thanks!
Lupez
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 am

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:29 pm

Lupez wrote:Hi Hugh
would you help me choose between the TF5 and a pair of AA OC18, for recording acoustic guitar (mainly steel strings but not necessarily).

I'd love to... I'll let you know my day rate for consultancy and my travel expenses... :lol:

In all seriousness, though... you're comparing very different apples and pears here. Added to which, I have absolutely no idea what you are seeking in terms of the recorded sound, nor what acoustic conditions you're working in, nor what the instrument(s) sound like au naturel!

If you're going to tolerate the size issues of a large side-address mic with a B-M capsule, it would seem rather churlish to limit yourself to just a single polar pattern, and the OC818 pair would make far more sense and be massively more versatile... but set you back a lot more. The OC18/818 is also an intentionally characterful mic.

The TF-5 only comes as a stereo pair of course and is (currently) fixed cardioid. Tonally, it's very neutral and honest without any real character at all (although some will perceive it as dark in comparison to many of the alternatives).

Personally, if the options are limited strictly to pairs of OC18 or TF5s, I'd go down the TF-5 route. But if you can stretch to a pair of OC818s that would be more likely to tempt me away from the TF-5s.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29028
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Lupez » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Lupez wrote:Hi Hugh
would you help me choose between the TF5 and a pair of AA OC18, for recording acoustic guitar (mainly steel strings but not necessarily).

I'd love to... I'll let you know my day rate for consultancy and my travel expenses... :lol:

In all seriousness, though... you're comparing very different apples and pears here. Added to which, I have absolutely no idea what you are seeking in terms of the recorded sound, nor what acoustic conditions you're working in, nor what the instrument(s) sound like au naturel!

If you're going to tolerate the size issues of a large side-address mic with a B-M capsule, it would seem rather churlish to limit yourself to just a single polar pattern, and the OC818 pair would make far more sense and be massively more versatile... but set you back a lot more. The OC18/818 is also an intentionally characterful mic.

The TF-5 only comes as a stereo pair of course and is (currently) fixed cardioid. Tonally, it's very neutral and honest without any real character at all (although some will perceive it as dark in comparison to many of the alternatives).

Personally, if the options are limited strictly to pairs of OC18 or TF5s, I'd go down the TF-5 route. But if you can stretch to a pair of OC818s that would be more likely to tempt me away from the TF-5s.

Many thanks for the help.
I could to pay you back with lots of apples! :P

Let me rephrase the question.

I already own a pair of 414 XLS which I use for recording a pricey Martin guitar, usually in a over-the-shoulder setup in cardioid or wide cardioid mode, but I am slightly dissatisfied with the results, the 414 can't reproduce correctly the tonal richness of the guitar.

The room is pretty large with high ceiling but the type of recordings I do don't usually require big sounding rooms (it's usually pop-rock productions).

Also, a pair of 818 would be too of a stretch in terms of budget.
So I was looking into the OC18 or the TF5, hence my question.
Lupez
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 am

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm

I'm not convinced the OC18 would offer anything that you haven't already got in the 414s. So I'd go for the TF-5s which would offer something usefully different to the 414s.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29028
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Lupez » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm not convinced the OC18 would offer anything that you haven't already got in the 414s. So I'd go for the TF-5s which would offer something usefully different to the 414s.

This is very helpful.
Many thanks and lots of apples from Italy!
Lupez
New here
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 am

Re: SDC mic query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:27 pm

:thumbup: :D
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 29028
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: SDC mic query

Postby rggillespie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 am

'I'm not convinced the OC18 would offer anything that you haven't already got in the 414s. So I'd go for the TF-5s which would offer something usefully different to the 414s.'

In reply to Lupez, just because yours is exactly the same route I went down for recording my acoustics. I tried a single 414 first then an OC818 and finally the TF5. I bought online so I could send them back after I'd done tests in my room etc. Bearing in mind I'm not as advanced as many here so my experience is limited, but I found pretty much out the box, the Rode sounded right, it's like I think the guitar sounds like in the room. It just sounded together and natural, so I had a clear picture of the whole guitar. Before it, I felt the treble and bass where almost separate sometimes, and things were blurred particularly in the treble area. The recordings before it, sounded good but didn't sound quite right and I couldn't put a finger on it. What I had recorded pre Rode would be fine in a full band setting. Only the Rode recordings seemed able to stand up as solo pieces, guitar alone. I found the Austrian (which I really liked) and Rode are quite different so maybe its worth hearing both with your guitar before buying?
rggillespie
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 am

PreviousNext