You are here

The Twelve Steps for Recording Tapes into your computer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: The Twelve Steps for Recording Tapes into your computer

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:26 pm

My BS alarm is very sensitive... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ken long » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 am

James Perrett wrote:Do you find you need to do this often?

In fairness, not often. But not unheard of.

However, I've found that most cassette machines have good access to the azimuth screw if you know where to look. Often you just need to slide off part of the door on front loading decks and most of mine have the door fronts permanently removed.

Yes, of course. I should have specified that adjustment to the screw can't happen on some decks while the cassette is engaged and playing. I might be thinking of some Denons here.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby ken long » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:00 am

Tim Gillett wrote: Poking a screwdriver around always struck me as amateurish and even dangerous to the mech.

Never had a problem doing this with a driver so not sure how it can be amateurish but I guess YMMV. Whatever makes you more comfortable. If you prefer a big knob, by all means...
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:52 am

ken long wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote: Poking a screwdriver around always struck me as amateurish and even dangerous to the mech.
Never had a problem doing this with a driver so not sure how it can be amateurish but I guess YMMV. Whatever makes you more comfortable.
Ditto.
ken long wrote:If you prefer a big knob, by all means...
:lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 pm

ken long wrote:

Never had a problem doing this with a driver so not sure how it can be amateurish but I guess YMMV. Whatever makes you more comfortable. If you prefer a big knob, by all means...
I take it you adjust azimuth on every cassette you transfer. Would you prefer to have a front panel adjuster on your cassette deck?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Here we go, down the rabbit hole...
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:56 pm

ken long wrote:

True, to use a screwdriver and to consistently make the adjustment without damage requires concentration and skill not needed with a dedicated control, skill which you obviously have.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 pm

The normal method of adjusting professional tape recorders is with a screwdriver. In a domestic/semi-pro environment frequent adjustment is not so necessary and the downside of having an accessible azimuth adjuster is the risk of people without the necessary skills messing up the adjustment. I'd suggest that if you have the skills to accurately adjust the asimuth you probably also have the skill to do so with a screwdriver without causing damage to the machine.

OTOH a skilled operator transferring a random assortment of tapes would definitely benefit from an easily accessible azimuth adjuster.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 am

Quality cassette decks havent been made for many years. Parts and service these days can be hard to find, if not impossible. If there was still a significant demand for quality cassette decks, companies would still be making them. One of my concerns with Tomas's advice page is that while it mentions obtaining a quality cassette deck, presumably in good working order, it offers little help or advice in going about that.

I'm not sure what was the point of showing photos of exotic decks like the Nak Dragon and Revox B215 which are very hard to obtain, way beyond most peoples' budgets, and if they can be obtained may need extensive and costly repairs to get them working as they were designed, if that is possible. Finding a tech even prepared to work on them could be an exercise in itself. The Dragon has a very unusual and AFAIK unobtainable repro head.

Neither is it clear why we are shown pictures of Tomas's two Yamaha decks.

A list of more affordable middle of the road models from brands like Teac, Sony, Pioneer, and places where they might be serviced by competent technicians might have been more helpful.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 am

The full half hour then...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:29 pm

:bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 pm

blinddrew wrote:The full half hour then...
:lol: :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Previous