You are here

Whitacre Spitfire help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Whitacre Spitfire help

Postby tsd1980 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi friends! I bought the Whitacre Choir from Spitfire - which sounds amazing, but doesn't seem to be set up like the PLAY or Kontakt interfaces, in that I can't figure out how to assign to channels. (It's my first Spitfire purchase, so maybe their products work this way.)

In one instance of Kontakt or the EastWest plugin, I often have multiple instruments assigned to different channels; load a harp, oboe, and cello, assign them to 3 separate channels. But that doesn’t seem possible here...am I missing something obvious?

If I want sopranos on channel 1, altos on channel 2, tenors on 3, etc., do I just load an instance for every channel?

I feel like a noob right now. Grateful for any help!
tsd1980
New here

Re: Whitacre Spitfire help

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:16 pm

When you say "channels", do you mean you want different instruments within one Kontakt instance to respond to different MIDI channels, or do you mean you want different instruments within one Kontakt instance to send to multiple individual audio output channels to your DAW?

It will also help to mention what DAW you are using as the procedures may differ depending on what you are running Kontakt in.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby tsd1980 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm still thinking about the $600 price tag. (Totally worth it.)

The Whitacre Choir doesn't use Kontakt; Spitfire has their own interface now. In Studio One, I open Whitacre Choir, I can pull up soprano legatos, and I can assign them to channel 1...but I can't then load other voices to assign to channel 2. If I *did* load another voice, it would just take the place of soprano legatos.

Does that make sense? Loading multiple voices in one instance doesn't seem possible here. Which seems weird! But maybe there is a brilliant answer out there.
tsd1980
New here

Postby Agharta » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm

The Spitfire app is still fairly new so lacks a lot of features that Kontakt for example has.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Sorry, yeah, Spitfire still flip between Kontakt instruments and their own plugins, and I'm not always sure which is which.

I guess you'd load multiple instances of the plugin on each track, then.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby RichardT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 pm

tsd1980 wrote:Hi friends! I bought the Whitacre Choir from Spitfire - which sounds amazing, but doesn't seem to be set up like the PLAY or Kontakt interfaces, in that I can't figure out how to assign to channels. (It's my first Spitfire purchase, so maybe their products work this way.)

In one instance of Kontakt or the EastWest plugin, I often have multiple instruments assigned to different channels; load a harp, oboe, and cello, assign them to 3 separate channels. But that doesn’t seem possible here...am I missing something obvious?

If I want sopranos on channel 1, altos on channel 2, tenors on 3, etc., do I just load an instance for every channel?

I feel like a noob right now. Grateful for any help!

Yes, you need a separate instance per channel.
RichardT
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:42 pm

I really hope that Spitfire reconsider this attempt to break from Kontakt. It's a bit tiresome. :roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Not for those who don't use/like Kontakt! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby IAA » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Yes I think this is the way. You can have multiple techniques triggered by midi channel, but not different voice groupings....as far as I can tell. If you find out different from Spitfire let me know, although I tend to prefer to keep passages on separate channels, I won’t deny it would be nice to have this.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby tsd1980 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks for the response, everyone. Because I was writing for an octet, I created 8 instances plus an extra that acted as a kind of scratch pad. It loads remarkably quickly!

Still, it is not intuitive to do this, and it makes tweaking each instance really cumbersome. (At least in Studio One.) I can't imagine having only one computer monitor...it would be a nightmare, as the instrument takes up more than 50% of the screen.

This issue not withstanding, it's a great library, if you haven't discovered it yet!
tsd1980
New here

Postby IAA » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Yep, it’s top drawer.
IAA
Frequent Poster