You are here

Midi splitter cables?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Midi splitter cables?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 am

I’ve got a Kenton through box, but that’s being used, and I need to split another two Midi signals, I’ve seen these Midi Splitter cables on Amazon for a few quid, very cheap, just wondering if anyone has tried them, and how reliable they are?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Midi splitter cables?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:17 am

I'd avoid the cheap MIDI splitters if they are non-powered devices as a good MIDI through unit is powered to maintain the correct voltage on each output.

I saw one on Amazon where someone asked if they could be used as MIDI mergers as well, and the seller said "yes" which was definitely not true for the device in question as it was just a passive Y cable.

I have a collection of the little Philip Rees MIDI through and MIDI merge boxes, which are sadly now discontinued, but there are similar devices available elsewhere if you look around. They are a bit more expensive than simple split cables but will do the job more reliably.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby desmond » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:30 am

As Eddy says, avoid the cables, they are mostly garbage and generally have the potential to cause worse problems than the problem they are trying to help you solve...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 am

I have cheap splitter cable (about 400mm total length), 1 input to 2 outputs, driven from an Edirol UM550. It provides reliable signals to 2 devices from the one source. Most decent MIDI output stages have enough oomph (current?) to drive two inputs. Obviously multi-output through boxes are better - but not always necessary. Just checked, got it on Amazon about a year ago, £8.99, no problems to report.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 am

BillB wrote:I have cheap splitter cable (about 400mm total length), 1 input to 2 outputs, driven from an Edirol UM550. It provides reliable signals to 2 devices from the one source. Most decent MIDI output stages have enough oomph (current?) to drive two inputs. Obviously multi-output through boxes are better - but not always necessary. Just checked, got it on Amazon about a year ago, £8.99, no problems to report.

Interesting, I think I’ll give the cable a go, they are only £8.
Advice taken about Midi boxes, if the cable doesn’t work I’ll look at those, but it’s an expensive solution.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster