You are here

Yamaha Stagepas 600 doubt recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yamaha Stagepas 600 doubt recording

Postby alexbremer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 am

Hi everyone, can anyone please help me with this doubt???

I have a Yamaha Stagepass 600i and I want to record the audio from my band, so I am wondering how can I do it using one of the options below.
What i have thought is doing the following:

Option1: Connect the USB port of the console direclty to the PC using a USB-USB cable

Option2: Connect the Monitor Out of the console directly to the headphones of the PC using a 2 Mono-Stereo Jack

Option3: Connect the Monitor Out of the console to one interface and then to the PC

Any help would be appreciated
alexbremer

Re: Yamaha Stagepas 600 doubt recording

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Welcome Alex!

Going through your suggestions:

1) The StagePas doesn't have a USB-out, only a USB-in. So what you're suggesting won't work.

2) The Monitor Out is an Output. The headphones connection on the PC is an Output. Connecting the two probably won't get you very far at all.

3) This will work, but using an Audio Interface into the computer will be important. Don't try and use a mic input on the computer.

BUT you'll probably be disappointed with the recorded sound if you record direct from the StagePas's mixer. You'll be recording the sound as mixed for the audience, not as required for a balanced recording. Some instruments/vocals will probably be too loud and some too quiet.

Better to invest in a mic splitter box like this: https://www.studiospares.com/8-channel-mic-splitter---studiospares-red800_458950.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGggEIOBRDPZbkHJ56zTqsmZ3k-LvGpXryED1QEVQWnsewgrLMzFwFkaAjTYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds (other makes are available) and an audio interface that can accept the requred number of mic inputs. You record each channel separately in your computer using appropriate software and then subsequently make a recording mix.

Hope that helps. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:BUT you'll probably be disappointed with the recorded sound if you record direct from the StagePas's mixer. You'll be recording the sound as mixed for the audience, not as required for a balanced recording. Some instruments/vocals will probably be too loud and some too quiet.

Better to invest in a mic splitter box like this: https://www.studiospares.com/8-channel-mic-splitter---studiospares-red800_458950.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGggEIOBRDPZbkHJ56zTqsmZ3k-LvGpXryED1QEVQWnsewgrLMzFwFkaAjTYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds (other makes are available) and an audio interface that can accept the requred number of mic inputs.

I'd agree that this is the best way to go.

However, if you don't want to go to all that effort you may find that you can produce an acceptable recording by recording the monitor or main output from the PA together with a pair of room mics. You'll need at least 4 input channels on your audio interface though.

Alternatively, you could use a separate recorder for the room (even a mobile phone if it doesn't overload easily) and match up the two recordings afterwards. I've found recordings done like this to work surprisingly well if the performers are well balanced and sound good in the room.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Just to add, what is your band's line up and what goes through the Stagepass? To enlarge, the Stagepass has only, effectively, seven channels (I know it says 10 but three are stereo/mono). If you are an acoustic duo/trio with no backline you could run everything through the SP600 and get useful results but as soon as you add any instruments that make a significant noise on their own or with their own amplification (electric guitars and basses with amps, brass instruments and drums usually) this instruments will appear much to quiet on a direct recording.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........