You are here

Splitting guitar signal to DAW

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Splitting guitar signal to DAW

Postby hooty2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am

Hi. Can you (you/anyone) recommend a radial product.
I want to split output from my Gretsch electric guitar..
To:
Boss acoustic singer combo
&
Interface.
I want to record fx'd output from Boss & a second output (+/-pedals) to the interface and into the DAW (reaper)
A one in two out is needed.
Any thoughts on phase issues.
Many thanks in advance
Nb: I've posted to radial but wondered if any other ideas are out there
hooty2
Regular

Re: Splitting guitar signal to DAW

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:03 am

hooty2 wrote:Hi. Can you (you/anyone) recommend a radial product.
I want to split output from my Gretsch electric guitar..
To:
Boss acoustic singer combo
&
Interface.

A standard DI box will do that job, providing a balanced mic-level feed to the interface, and a straight-through feed to the Combo.

If you are wedded to Radial products, the J48 DI is the obvious choice.... but there are plenty of other good active DI boxes across a wide price range. I'd strongly warn against cheap DI boxes, though (as you'll just end up replacing them for something better later)... The one exception I'd make is Orchid's active DI boxes which are stunning value for money.

Any thoughts on phase issues.

Yes... you might have some... but there are plenty of DAW plugins that can realign signals easily enough.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 am

Pretty much any DI will let you do that, link/amp output to the pedals and amp and the DI to a mic input on the interface, AFAIK any Radial DI will do the job but so will a Orchid Classic DI for ⅓ the price with pretty much equal quality.

edit, Hugh got there first :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 am

Re "phase".
There is no standard that preserves polarity through guitar amps so if you ever pair them up with another source it is the toss of a coin.

If you go with Hugh's suggestion of a DI box you could also get an XLR phase 'slug' that flips the mic level signal or make your own. Anytime anyone is messing with balanced signals a hardware means of flipping polarity is always handy. (can get you another 3-4dB gain before ring from a PA for one thing)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby hooty2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 am

Thanks to all.
KISS to me!

(P.s I'm also attentive to other unintended consequences that people with experience can highlight
hooty2
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 am

If the interface has instrument inputs I would have thought an ABY pedal would do the trick
al_diablo
Regular