You are here

New Soundcraft signature 22MTk

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New Soundcraft signature 22MTk

Postby Jsantana » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 am

Can anyone help me please? I bought a signature 22 MTK and I have probably had it for about 3 weeks now. I used it for the first 2 weeks without any problems and the sound was a night and day difference. Recently however, Ive been noticing really bad distortion/overdrive coming through when the guitar volume knob is all the way up. (which I have done since the beginning.) I tried 2 different electric guitars and an acoustic guitar. All with the same result. Its very strange. Am I just noticing something that was always there or is my brand new mixer already busted? Also Ive narrowed it down. I went throw as many steps as possible from amps to cables to pedals and instruments. I even tried switching electrical outlets and different combinations of outlets and power strips. It has all come down to the mixer and its only when the guitar volume is all they way up on the instrument.

Also just a side note. This is the first analogue/digital USB mixer Ive ever used. I had a Roland quad capture before this and I wanted a nice upgrade.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm getting to that very tired and distraught phase of troubleshooting lol. I just want to record and get back to the reason were all here.

Thank you
Jsantana

Re: New Soundcraft signature 22MTk

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 am

Are you overloading the input? If I’m right, the MTK has instrument inputs on some channels, these are very sensitive, I would just make sure you’ve got the gain structure right before going any further.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 am

Yup, it's a 99.9% certainty that this is the issue.

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 am

Jsantana wrote:Also Ive narrowed it down. I went throw as many steps as possible from amps to cables to pedals and instruments. I even tried switching electrical outlets and different combinations of outlets and power strips. It has all come down to the mixer and its only when the guitar volume is all they way up on the instrument.

It certainly sounds like you're overloading the input channel.

You haven't told us the signal path from guitar to mixer, or which input you're using on the mixer, but if you're playing through a string of pedals than it may be possible to turn down the output level of one (or more) of the pedals to reduce the level going into the mixer.

Also, if you're playing through pedals you don't need to use a hi-Z instrument input on the mixer, so you could try a standard line input instead which would probably have a lot more headroom.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound