You are here

Need new monitors... upgrading from my babies, the rokit 5's

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Need new monitors... upgrading from my babies, the rokit 5's

Postby Hjlphilp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:59 am

Aaaaaand GO!

Under 2Gs please... but an upgrade from the rokit 5's (I have made so many records on these... they have gotten me through college, shows... man I'm still happy to upgrade tho).

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Hjlphilp
Poster

Re: Need new monitors... upgrading from my babies, the rokit 5's

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:22 am

Sorry for giving a slightly stock answer but you don't mention if your room has effective acoustic treatment? Also what genre are you mixing on them?

If you room is not treated then assign at least ⅓ of your £2k to getting that done :thumbup:

WRT Genre if the Rocket 5's have been good for you then a pair of Neumann KH120s would represent a significant upgrade and be well within budget, even with a chunk used for room treatment.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am

Sam Spoons wrote:WRT Genre if the Rocket 5's have been good for you then a pair of Neumann KH120s would represent a significant upgrade and be well within budget, even with a chunk used for room treatment.

That'd be my first suggestion as well. KH120s and some of the change on panels would be money well spent.

Another slightly stock answer though, if you have anywhere remotely close to you where you could demo some candidates then it'd be well worth it. There's quite a lot of contenders around that sort of budget and nothing can beat sitting in front of them and having a listen.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:26 am

I'd say room treatment plus KH80s+KH750 and the alignment via the ipad app.
Should just be able to squeeze that in for £2k.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hjlphilp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm

Room treatment is just not possible yall... I've got NO room, AND im at my momma crib. Wow a lot of khs, I thought they sounded ok

I was just about to grab some and eris 8 xt cause of how jamming they were lol

I'll look into this some more... BTW, does sonarworks work?? And is the align app a iPhone only app?

I mix the most popular form of music today... hiphop!

Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 pm

This is probably not what you want to hear but without an acoustically treated room there is little point in investing in high end monitors. The upside of working from, I assume, your bedroom is that the bed and furnishings act, to a certain extent, as acoustic treatment* and a small amount of additional treatment can dramatically improve your mixing space. This need not be ugly looking, in fact some companies make acoustic panels with artworks printed on the front, maybe you mum would allow you to hang a couple of pictures** ;) ? Acoustic treatment really does make that much difference. Ideally you need to break up/absorb the first reflections that reach your ears from the side walls and ceiling (known as the mirror points 'cos they are where you'd put a mirror to see your monitors from the mixing chair). Three panels will make a huge difference.

* The trickiest thing to control in a small studio is bass but a bed or sofa works as a pretty efficient bass trap. Probably not enough on it's own but certainly better than nothing.

** https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/acoustic-art-panels/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:05 pm

Sonarworks definitely works for headphones, I've not tried the room correction side but it can't fundamentally break the laws of physics - so it'll work better in a treated room but if you've got large bass standing waves (which in an untreated room you will have) then it really can't sort that out.
If you can't treat the room but want to upgrade your sound then I'd consider investing in some proper high-end headphones. They'll remove the whole 'room' problem and they're also a long-term investment that you won't need to upgrade for years.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hjlphilp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:Sonarworks definitely works for headphones, I've not tried the room correction side but it can't fundamentally break the laws of physics - so it'll work better in a treated room but if you've got large bass standing waves (which in an untreated room you will have) then it really can't sort that out.
If you can't treat the room but want to upgrade your sound then I'd consider investing in some proper high-end headphones. They'll remove the whole 'room' problem and they're also a long-term investment that you won't need to upgrade for years.
My eris e8 is coming Saturday... i MAY have to send em back I might not we will see.

I will try the sonarworks thing on my old speakers to see if it really makes a difference... i WOULD spend more change but... 700 per speaker in a non studio room still seems pointless

I'd much rather jam and have some bass in my life

Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 pm

The Personus Eris e8 is a £200 speaker, what makes you think it'll be better than your Rokits?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hjlphilp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 am

Sam Spoons wrote:The Personus Eris e8 is a £200 speaker, what makes you think it'll be better than your Rokits?
Hey, they'll sound better than broken. And also my investment in sonarworks might prove to be a good move for now AND later

Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:13 am

Hjlphilp wrote:I'd much rather jam and have some bass in my life

Nothing wrong with that. But bass in your life comes at a price. It requires a big enough room with sufficient acoustic treatment to keep it under control and tame it's excesses.

Bass takes no prisoners. Learn to monitor on cans, or be prepared to spend big.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Hjlphilp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:28 am

zenguitar wrote:Nothing wrong with that. But bass in your life comes at a price. It requires a big enough room with sufficient acoustic treatment to keep it under control and tame it's excesses.

Bass takes no prisoners. Learn to monitor on cans, or be prepared to spend big.

I couldnt agree with you more... but i realize I mightve been capping with my budget lol

Trust id love to drop 1500 on some khs or some a7xs but... nope.

Honestly tho, I think the solution I came up with at 1k is not bad... but your words on bass are so wise... ill definitely keep them in mind bro

Hjlphilp
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:21 am

Hjlphilp wrote:Room treatment is just not possible yall... I've got NO room, AND im at my momma crib. Wow a lot of khs, I thought they sounded ok

I was just about to grab some and eris 8 xt cause of how jamming they were lol

I'll look into this some more... BTW, does sonarworks work?? And is the align app a iPhone only app?

I mix the most popular form of music today... hiphop!

From what you say here I’d go for the Eris 8, you'll be surprised, and you could save a lot of cash. Trust what "you" like, I had a pair of these, they punch way above their weight, and have no glaring weaknesses.
For the genre you're mixing they’ll be fine, I sometimes make Lo-Fi Hip-Hop with a pair of Behringer 3031's, similar vibe, the Eris I found have more detail than the Rokits, less muddy, they'll open that bass window a bit wider too, definitely an improvement IMO.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby IvanSC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 am

Hjlphilp wrote:

Honestly tho, I think the solution I came up with at 1k is not bad... but your words on bass are so wise... ill definitely keep them in mind bro

Lots of love for the KHs, but in fact when I bought my Unity Audio The Rock IIs a few years back, I auditioned a TON of mid-to high priced monitors, including all the Neumanns and others. The one common factor I found with all the ported speakers was that the bottom end sounded artificial. Amazingly, my Rocks with their tiny bass drivers but NO port wiped the floor with all the ported alternatives & still do, even in my very small (but well treated) studio. Worth bearing in mind when you win the Post Code Lottery. :D :D
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 am

IvanSC wrote:
Hjlphilp wrote:

Lots of love for the KHs, but in fact when I bought my Unity Audio The Rock IIs a few years back, I auditioned a TON of mid-to high priced monitors, including all the Neumanns and others. The one common factor I found with all the ported speakers was that the bottom end sounded artificial. Amazingly, my Rocks with their tiny bass drivers but NO port wiped the floor with all the ported alternatives & still do, even in my very small (but well treated) studio. Worth bearing in mind when you win the Post Code Lottery. :D :D

You’re feelings are confirmed in the SOS Rock review, I’ve always preferred sealed boxes to ported speakers, but the good ones are normally quite highly priced.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next