You are here

6-pin XLR cable for U99

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

6-pin XLR cable for U99

Postby jodaki » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi,

I have a Soundelux U99. The 6-pin XLR from the transformer to the mic has gone to meet its maker so I need a replacement. I cant find a spec for the U99 cable and there doesnt seem to be much info about 6-pin XLRs in general - but I gather there's a difference between the switchcraft and neutrik models. My connector is unbranded but looks like a switchcraft.

Can anyone point me to a suitable replacement please?
jodaki
Regular

Re: 6-pin XLR cable for U99

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 am

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/27-9 ... -10-metres

I have no idea if the above is wired for your microphone but I think Canford are decent chaps and will render all assistance possible.

I would assume such a cable is simply wired pin for pin? Do you have or can you work out the pinouts?

(I am fascinated to learn you have buggered an XLR connector? Not easy!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 am

jodaki wrote:The 6-pin XLR from the transformer to the mic has gone to meet its maker so I need a replacement.

Wow! That must have taken some doing! :o

I gather there's a difference between the switchcraft and neutrik models. My connector is unbranded but looks like a switchcraft.

I wasn't aware of any differences between the brands, but it turns out that the Switchraft 6-pin XLR connectors are quite different to the neutrik/Cannon ones.

RS sell the Switchcraft version:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/xlr-connectors/8784863/

If you need the cable, Mogami do a 6-way cable intended for valve mic applications, but you need to be very careful about which wires you use for which functions (HT, heater, audio, screening etc) and extremely careful with your soldering! You don't want to create any shorts!

It might be worth contacting StudioCare directly about a replacement cable...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jodaki » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Wow! That must have taken some doing! :o

There was a slight hum in the mic signal at very hjgh (40db+) preamp levels which I tracked down to the cable.

I noticed the grub screw (that I assume connects the shield to the shell) on the male end was stuck in the down position so wasnt making contact with the shell. Got it moving with some WD40 but it just spun, went neither up nor down. Tried various things to make it connect to the shell (sliding down bits of foil, trying to trap a wire between then) eventually tried a blob of solder and now all I hear is worse hum...

I'll take your advice and buy one. From what you say I dont need to worry too much and can just get any 6-pin mic xlr.

Thanks
jodaki
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:25 am

Hugh, the site does say,

NB. 6 pin are Neutrik (Cannon compatible).
(Switchcraft 6 pin are non-standard, and are not suitable)

News to me as well!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:47 am

ef37a wrote:Hugh, the site does say,

NB. 6 pin are Neutrik (Cannon compatible).
(Switchcraft 6 pin are non-standard, and are not suitable)

Well! You live and learn! I didn't know that... :shocked: :think: :shifty:

It looks like the Switchraft version has a symmetrical pin layout, whereas the Cannon and Neutrik versions are asymmetrical! Here's an overlay of the Switchraft (grey, rear) with the Neutrik (black front). None of the pins come anywhere close to lining up!

6-pin XLR.jpg

So I retract what I said earlier.... you'll need a Switchraft connector! :shocked:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:54 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It looks like the Switchraft version has a symmetrical pin layout, whereas the Cannon and Neutrik versions are asymmetrical!

Glad to see I'm not losing my mind, I had to do a double take when I read up on this last night...
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction