You are here

SD card recorder with digital input

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SD card recorder with digital input

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 pm

I've been thinking about my studio setup and considering options to keep it's current 'nod' back to analogue*. I like working with an analogue like paradigm and have a few bits of outboard that I like. Principally, in this case, an old TC Finaliser Plus which, to my ears, does nice things to my mixes. I could use it in an insert in the desk but my preferred method is to patch it between the desk output (via AES/EBU) and the monitors. I would like to record the digital output from the Finaliser to some kind of digital medium. My old HHB Burn-It and Tascam DA20 are both a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking of buying an SD recorder of some kind. Ideally it should have a digital input (the Finaliser has AES/EBU or SP/DIF outputs) which the cheaper rack mount recorders don't have. So suggestions for either a stereo rack mount SD recorder** with digital input or a portable stereo or multitrack recorder with similar.

* I have a digital desk (X32C) and record to a computer DAW (Reaper) but mostly treat them in a 'old school' way, the mixer as a mixer and Reaper as a 'virtual tape recorder'.

** The rack mount SD recorders which have digital inputs cost £600+ which puts me not too far off Zoom F8 or even Sound Devices money but the F8 doesn't have a digital input, haven't looked at the SD yet TBH.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: SD card recorder with digital input

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 am

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby allebaug » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 am

Perhaps over your budget - TASCAM SS-CDR250N

with ethernet, 24bit/96, and Dante card as an option.
allebaug
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks chaps, the TASCAM SS-CDR250N is indeed a little rich for me. The SS-R100 only records 44/16 (or 48/16) and 24 bit recording would be nice to have.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby allebaug » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 pm

The Tascam SS-R250N model is less expensive at ~700.

Same specs (2-SD cards, ethernet, 24bit/96) as The CDR model including the Dante slot option. The specs are not obvious for why it's 200 less.

Ahhhh! The 200 gets you a CD-RW built-in!
allebaug
New here

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Alesis Masterlink? Someone around here was trying to give one away recently ;)
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 am

Thanks James but I need/(want) something with removable media, USB or SD, I already have a HHB Burn-It CD recorder, while that doesn't do 24 bit it will record red book CDs.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is to integrate my TC Finaliser into my system entirely digitally. The X32 has a digital out but no digital input.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:46 pm

Here's a geek answer...

How about a Raspberry Pi with a digital audio card?

It would take a bit of setting up but you could probably program it to record a new file to a USB stick at the touch of a single button. Total cost for a Raspberry Pi starter kit and digital audio card should be under £100.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:29 pm

And I have a Raspberry Pi 3 already. Hmm... maybe :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Slightly surprised that there's no card available for the X32 that has a digital input.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:45 pm

There may be but, as it only has one expansion slot, it would have to have USB onboard too as the X32 is my multi-channel audio interface. I guess the sensible thing would be to patch the Finaliser into a couple of analogue auxes/inserts is just goes against the grain to do the extra DA/AD conversion...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster