You are here

Dante Ethernet Switch

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Dante Ethernet Switch

Postby twotoedsloth » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Hello,

Best regards and many thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. We are probably going to upgrade to Dante at work, and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an ethernet switch. We'll be connecting pairs of ethernet cables to two computers (one for work, one for audio recording both with PCIe Dante cards), an Allen & Heath SQ5 console and an Allen & Heath DT 168 stage box. We'll be connecting single ethernet cables to a Denon DN900R backup recorder, and a video recording computer with a few notebook computers from time to time using the Dante Virtual Sound Card application.

We will need a managed switch with at least 16 ethernet ports. Budget is whatever it costs... hopefully not too much, but management is really fixated on the Dante platform.

Much appreciated,

Peter

PS Does anyone have experience with the Dante Virtual Sound Card application? Specifically do we need to buy a license for each computer that may connect to our Dante environment, or can we uninstall it on one computer, and reinstall it on another? We aren't planning for it at the moment, but it will inevitably come up in the future, and it would be annoying to spend $30 every time we have a guest.

Many thanks.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Dante Ethernet Switch

Postby resistorman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:17 pm

I was curious and popped over to Audinate. They have a 30 day license for $10. Also a 14 day free trial. Don’t know if you can have a “floating” license, you’d have to ask them.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Re: Dante Ethernet Switch

Postby forumuser840717 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 am

Here is a link to the techical requirements for a Dante switch, as outlined on Audinate's website:

https://www.audinate.com/support/networks-and-switches

I have a mixture of Ethernet switches in use on Dante (and Ravenna) networks:

Cisco SG-300 Series
Cisco SG-350 Series
Dell Powerconnect 2808 / 2816
Luminex Gigacore Series

They all seem to cope happily enough with both Dante and Ravenna. They just vary in terms of level of tricks/options they offer and build quality.

The Dells are the cheapest (I think they've been replaced with a newer model now but I'm not sure what that is), the Ciscos a step up in cost, facilities, and, arguably, build quality, and the Luminex switches are the most powerful, flexible, configurable, and robust switches I've used but are quite a big step up in cost. They even have deployable models with ruggedised connectors such as Neutrik Ethercons and various options of properly beefy connectors on the fibre ports. Expensive but for my uses worth it, though, in a less challenging environment, I'd probably go for one of the Ciscos as they have lots of options in terms of various levels of PoE and optional fibre ports., and the pricing is more friendly than the Luminex kit.
forumuser840717
Regular