You are here

Are these 'pseudo room' mix plugins like Waves Abbey Road studio a useful headphone mixing tool

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Are these 'pseudo room' mix plugins like Waves Abbey Road studio a useful headphone mixing tool

Postby Hazer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:47 pm

I'm not at any point going to get the room I try and mix in properly treated therefore I am looking at these mix room types of plugins, anyone know if they are a good tool, i.e. significantly superior to mixing on headphones alone?
Hazer
Regular

Re: Are these 'pseudo room' mix plugins like Waves Abbey Road studio a useful headphone mixing tool

Postby w oxo cube » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Seems to me they are about as useful as a speaker review on Youtube.

Sonarworks of cause is a different story as it flattens your frequency response.

But the waves thing nah, not for me.
w oxo cube
Poster

Re: Are these 'pseudo room' mix plugins like Waves Abbey Road studio a useful headphone mixing tool

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm

My suggestion is to get used to what good commercial mixes sound like on your headphones of choice and let you ears tell you where your own mixes are in relation. The less between your audio and your ears the better, IMHO.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hazer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:01 pm

I ended up getting it as it was on special plus a free plugin :oops: From what I've read in terms of reviews it's a good reference to switch between phones when mixing.
Hazer
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:27 pm

The Elf wrote:My suggestion is to get used to what good commercial mixes sound like on your headphones of choice and let you ears tell you where your own mixes are in relation. The less between your audio and your ears the better, IMHO.

I'd totally agree with this - I prefer the monitoring chain to be as simple as possible.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 pm

+1 on what the Elf says. Get used to the cans, or get better cans.

And try out your mix on different playback systems.. the worse your monitoring at the mixing seat, the more out want to check elsewhere as well.

I guess these "pseudo room" products could simplify that part a bit, you can try referencing good mixes when they are active and learn how things behave, so you can see how a good mix is affected by them and copy - it's another tool in the toolbox.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:56 pm

I'll lob my usual comment in here, I use sonarworks on my headphones as I find it makes them tonally more consistent with my speakers.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:28 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'll lob my usual comment in here, I use sonarworks on my headphones as I find it makes them tonally more consistent with my speakers.

Same here, so seconded.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Andy McBain » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:51 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'll lob my usual comment in here, I use sonarworks on my headphones as I find it makes them tonally more consistent with my speakers.

Thirded! :)
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby ambientgeneration » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 pm

I find it useful - makes it sound like you are in a room listening with speakers as opposed to headphones. Of course not saying it is as good as having speakers - but if that's just not possible ...

I use it with Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros (250 ohm) which they have a default EQ setting for as well. Personally I use it instead of Sonarworks which I also have due to the room emulation.
ambientgeneration
New here