You are here

Record “fake” overhead drums

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Record “fake” overhead drums

Postby aviorrok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Hi,
I just used Logic Pro acoustic drums and I want to make it more realistic so I want to “fake” overhead mic, so I decide to record the drums from my speakers/monitor with Shure SM81 like overhead.
That’s a good technique? Someone did it in past?

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Record “fake” overhead drums

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:38 am

Certainly worth a try - let us know if it works for you.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 am

I’ve done similar things with varying results. Have fun, there’s no wrong or right, really. Back in the very early days of digital pianos, I put a brick on the sustain pedal of a weedy Wurlitzer upright, miced it up and played the digital piano track through a pa to excite the strings and mixed them together. Sounded great for the time.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby aviorrok » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 am

James Perrett wrote:Certainly worth a try - let us know if it works for you.
What the result should I need to get from overheads? (I never recorded real drums)
aviorrok
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:54 am

I've heard of this being done with MIDI playback to inject some natural chaos within the MIDI precision. I guess it comes down to having a half decent room to do it in.

I've tried to fake room mics using room reverbs and mic impulses, but never really used the result.

Lots of fun experimenting though. Let us know the results.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 am

I did once record the playback of a track from another room and mixed it in as a reverb and it worked pretty well. Concluded it was too much work for the result, but it was great fun to try!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:32 am

worth a try indeed. when I did it the take required quite a lot HPF, but I ended up using it
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:41 am

A synthetic room reverb and some HPF would be my approach - I've done this a few times. It would have to be be a very remarkable room to have me setting up speakers and mic's.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 am

^ +1 What the Elf says!

If your monitoring environment is any good as a monitoring environment, it will be terrible as a drum room. so... use artificial reverb instead with a room reverb setting strong on early reflections, high pass filtered and dialled in to taste.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:46 am

Agreed.

If you want it more realistic, get a more realistic drum plugin. Most of the modern one have the overhead and the room mic(s) as separate channels in the mixer because those are recorded along with the close mics when they were sampled in the first place. Studio Drummer and Abbey Road drums in Kontakt have this, as does AIR Music Tech Strike. It's not unusual.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 am

aviorrok wrote:I just used Logic Pro acoustic drums

Ok.

aviorrok wrote:I want to make it more realistic

...ok ...

aviorrok wrote:so I want to “fake” overhead mic, so I decide to record the drums from my speakers/monitor with Shure SM81 like overhead.

Well... *all* of Logic's (expertly recorded) multi-sampled acoustic kits come with "Producer" versions which have full mic channels available, including separate bottom/top on the snare, overheads, and room mics (two different sets) and bleed all on individual mixer channels.

I'm pretty sure that those kits, recorded by name, experienced engineers in great rooms will probably have better overhead channels than you can do at home, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use those as is...

Of course, it's fun doing thee kinds of experiments if you want to try, and learn things - it was an old trick back in the day to feed in some room monitor sound back in the mix to inject some "life" into things - but if you're doing it because you just want overheads, then it's far easier just to use the stuff already provided for you...

(Unless you are using the more synthetic drum-machine style drum samples, in which case I echo the above sentiments - reverbs are a much quicker way to a better result, imo...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Ah, that's much better than the plugins I mentioned. If folds out into the actual mixer, rather than being a mixer inside the plugin. Very nice! Very sensible.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Audience perspective panning in that default preset though... I mean, seriously... :shock: :crazy: :headbang:

:lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby jimmyloveless » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm

I have done something similar for V-drum performances, but it was more stereo room mics than overheads. I placed a playback monitor at the bottom of a 2 story brick stairwell & two SDCs at the top, pointed up. Played back L channel, recorded with one mic, then played back R channel, recorded with the other mic. In both cases I turned the snare and kick down a few db as they will be heard in both passes. Worked nice for a poor man's Led Zeppelin.
jimmyloveless

Postby Dan LB » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 pm

desmond wrote:Audience perspective panning in that default preset though... I mean, seriously... :shock: :crazy: :headbang:

:lol:

Nah, it was a left-handed drummer they recorded :D
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Next