You are here

Reaper for iPad?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reaper for iPad?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 am

I know Cockos have no plans to port Reaper to iOS but is anybody using an iPad app for recording and then transferring the files to Reaper for editing/mixing?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Reaper for iPad?

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I know Cockos have no plans to port Reaper to iOS but is anybody using an iPad app for recording and then transferring the files to Reaper for editing/mixing?

Kind of...

My work at the moment contains lots of 'recorded elsewhere 'then subsequently processed and mixed.

By far and away the most popular platforms other people have are iPads/iPhones. They record on those - usually m4a compressed files - then send them to me via email.

I then due some prelim work before putting the recordings into my DAW (not Reaper) as 24-bit 44.1s for onward mixing and processing.

I'm about to start working with a group who want to make podcasts. In their case I shall encourage them to tweak their 'i' settings so that they record uncompressed - space permitting.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I know Cockos have no plans to port Reaper to iOS but is anybody using an iPad app for recording and then transferring the files to Reaper for editing/mixing?

Same as Mike, not Reaper as a target (I use Cakewalk) but the process should be the same.

A few tools:

The only real hurdle is to move files outside the ipad/iphone without requiring a Mac or iTunes (that in 2020 there is not an interoperable way of getting files out of a iPhone is insane, but that's another discussion :D).

So, if the files are on my phone, I export to Dropbox; if they are on someone else's phone, I ask them to export them to Dropbox, or any other cloud driver, download them locally and send them with Wetransfer. Often I guide them in the process.

Handbrake is a great tool for converting video formats if required, for example to mp4.

After that it's pretty straightforward, they're just audio files.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm

I do this a fair bit with work, people send me video and audio files via dropbox or soundcloud and I'll just lob them into Reaper or Shotcut and edit them there.
I can't recall a recent occasion when either tool had a problem with anything I was getting sent.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 pm

It's for #2 son, he'd like to do some multi tracking on his iPad Pro and have the option of simple editing/mixing on the iPad or transferring the files to Reaper on his Windoze PC for more detailed editing/mixing. He's tried 'Multitrack DAW' on my iPad mini but we couldn't find any way to use a tempo mapped click only a fixed tempo metronome
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:08 pm

I’ve been exploring the ipad for recording for a few years now. I’m amazed at what can be done and I have even started compositions in it and finished them on my tower. I’ve also used the ipad as a realtime external fx unit and/or as multiple synths all playable at once via midi while sending and recording the audio into my DAW.
I’ve recently upgraded my iOS to 13 and can plug hard drives, thumb drives and other storage devices directly to the ipad so swapping files is easy in both directions. You will need a powered USB hub to power the thumb drives etc. Vague memory of possible issues with a non-Mac formatted drive so do a bit of internet research first.
If you want to go hardcore then the iConnectAudio4 is a useful tool. It really expands the ipad to be quite the audio machine.
If you have any specific questions PM me or I’ll bookmark this topic to keep current with responses.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

MTS

Multitrack studio for iPad.

The only one I could find with time signature and tempo mapping. It's a bit quirky but well worth the exploring.

Integrates really well with Audioshare and Drive so sending to Reaper is easy.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks, will suggest MTS to him.

MFG what iPad app do you use for recording?

The problem is that he only has the iPad Pro and a desktop so the iPad is the only option for editing and mixing away from home. He does have a Tascam DR-40X which he can use for recording and also as an interface, I believe it works with the iPad too. he'd been recording video on his iPhone/iPad and progressed to recording the audio on the DR-40 so he could get better quality then editing on the desktop. He's returning to China in a couple of weeks and wants to be able to record and mix during down time at work (he's an orchestral musician).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm

I only do sketch recordings on the iPad but MTS has everything I need, which is basically an input and an output.

I've been exploring using a powered USB hub and it seems every interface option I have can be used with my basic iPad 2019. The beauty of this is that the hub can be run from a power bank so it's all pretty portable, albeit a tiny bit cable-y.

I don't use any synthy stuff or real time keys so latency isn't an issue as I use direct monitoring from the interface.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:07 pm

I have Cubase on my I Pad, I just transfer files using share, and then import them into my PC/Mac.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 am

My choices for recording are Cubasis, AUM, Auria. Within AUM I may record using a looper.
I haven't needed any multiple tempos or time signatures yet but I will check out MTS.
I have a 2018 ipad pro.
an aside - my ipad is developing those small bright white spots.You can see them on lighter backgrounds. They are a now common ipad/iphone screen defect and Apple will replace your device if you are still under warranty. If not you must pay almost full price for a new idevice.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:50 am

I guess it boils down to workflow, habits and perhaps the kind of music one makes (more midi oriented as opposite to audio oriented) but if I had to edit on an iPad I'd be pulling my hair and start screaming in no time.. mouse, keyboard, large screens and a well known and decent playback room are fundamental to me..

I think it's annoying to write _here_ on touch devices :D

But others of course may have no problems whatsoever.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:30 pm

My studio becomes a security blanket sometimes and I get stuck. Sometimes you need to shake it up and get outside that comfort zone. Apple Pencil and Bluetooth or USB keyboard? Sure. Strip it down to the basics. What do you really need to write music with?
The thing that scares me would be pencil and manuscript paper! One day I will try that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:18 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:The thing that scares me would be pencil and manuscript paper! One day I will try that.
Pen and paper is definitely my best method for lyrics. Not really relevant for music in my case as I can't write any of it down. :thumbdown:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...