You are here

Art clean box II

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Art clean box II

Postby Mike Shand » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 am

I have long puzzled over the clean box II. On the top the sockets are clearly marked input and output, but on the bottom there is a schematic, which appears to indicate that one pair is wired as TRS balanced while the other is wired as TS unbalanced. However, there is no indication which sockets are which!!

The situation is further confused by Paul White’s 2005! Review which states

“ Both the inputs and outputs are unbalanced, but are wired to accommodate balanced or unbalanced connections on TRS jacks. ”

So curiosity finally got the better of me, and I took one apart. To my surprise I discovered that all 4 sockets are wired with tip and ring across the respective transformer winding, while the sleeves on each side are joined together. I.e. the two input sleeves are joined and the two output sleeves are joined. There are also a sprinkling of resistors, whose purpose I could not fathom.

So it looks to me that all sockets are balanced, and the schematic indicates what happens if you plug in a TRS or a TS respectively. I.e. for TS it (obviously) connects ring to sleeve, resulting in an unbalanced configuration.

So nothing earth-shattering, but at least my curiosity is now satisfied, and despite the Input and output labelling, it makes no difference which is which, as I had always supposed!

Mike
Mike Shand
Poster

Re: Art clean box II

Postby ef37a » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:14 am

You are as bad as some of the reviewers! You take things apart but don't give us pictures1

Heh! Thanks anyway Mike. I could hazard a guess that the resistors are either 'tie down' devices for where there is a DC leakage voltage present or they might be loading/damping Rs?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Mike Shand wrote:... on the bottom there is a schematic, which appears to indicate that one pair is wired as TRS balanced while the other is wired as TS unbalanced. However, there is no indication which sockets are which!!

Both pairs are wired the same; the schematic is just showing a typical application! I agree it's not the most helpful of schematics!

I discovered that all 4 sockets are wired with tip and ring across the respective transformer winding, while the sleeves on each side are joined together

Yes, this ensures that both inputs and outputs can accommodate balanced or unbalanced connections equally well. But there is no continuity of ground across input/output.

There are also a sprinkling of resistors, whose purpose I could not fathom.

They are there to ensure the transformer has a defined load to control any wayward HF resonances.

...and despite the Input and output labelling, it makes no difference which is which, as I had always supposed!

I wouldn't be quite so certain about that. It may be that the loading resistors are symmetrical on each side of the transformer, which would support bidirectional use... but more likely that they are not... in which case you may well find it has a slightly different frequency response when used in the reverse direction (depending on the source and destination impedances)!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Shand » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm

I wouldn't be quite so certain about that. It may be that the loading resistors are symmetrical on each side of the transformer, which would support bidirectional use... but more likely that they are not... in which case you may well find it has a slightly different frequency response when used in the reverse direction (depending on the source and destination impedances)!

Good point. Thanks Hugh.
Mike Shand
Poster

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Hello All,

I've been intending to purchase an Art CleanBox for what has to be years now. Now is as good a time as any, though I don't have an immediate need for it.

Do I want the: CleanBox, CleanBox II or the Cleanbox Pro?

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:40 pm

The original Cleanbox is obsolete, and the Cleanbox Pro is an active bidirectional interface for consumer gear and not comparable at all.

So the real question is ART Cleanbox2 or ART DTI. (There are other manufacturers of line isolation transformer boxes, too). Here's the DTI:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-dti

AFAIK the internals are identical in the CB2 and DTI... but whereas the CB2 just has quarter-inch sockets for the inputs and outputs, the DTI has XLRs, 1/4inch sockets and rca-phonos, on each side, all wired together, which enhances its usefulness considerably IMHO. See my review above.

I have 1x CB2, and 5x DTIs, and a T8 which is an 8-channel DTI (as well as a couple of other similar units from other suppliers)... That probably neatly reveals which I value most highly...:-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Hello again,

I already have an Orchid Electronics Dual Transformer Isolator:

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/dual_isolator.htm

Is there any point in buying the DTI or Cleanbox?

I'm trying to assemble a "tool kit", though this is taking years, I think it's worth doing.

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:58 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:Hello again,

I already have an Orchid Electronics Dual Transformer Isolator:

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/dual_isolator.htm

Is there any point in buying the DTI or Cleanbox?

I'm trying to assemble a "tool kit", though this is taking years, I think it's worth doing.

Many thanks,

Peter

The advantage of the DTI is that it also acts as a connector adapter. I found I used it just as much for that as for its isolation facility.

It's function apart from that is identical to the Orchid box you already have.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:43 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:I'm trying to assemble a "tool kit", though this is taking years, I think it's worth doing.

It will never end.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby twotoedsloth » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Hello again,

Sorry to bother you again, but will the ART DTI also function as a splitter? IE plug 1/4" in and output in 1/4" and XLR (and RCA) at the same time?

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 pm

I think not, I'm pretty sure I tried this and meant to find out why it wouldn't but I suspect it was something to do with the balanced/unbalanced mechanism.

Might have to get that toolkit out.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:39 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:....will the ART DTI also function as a splitter? IE plug 1/4" in and output in 1/4" and XLR (and RCA) at the same time?

Yes, it can serve as a splitter, and from either the input side, or the output side, or both. I often use it in that role myself -- it's one of its flexible strengths.

BUT, the split destinations must be the same format -- ie, balanced or unbalanced. If you mix formats everything will end up unbalanced, and you might find yo have ground loop problems too.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 am

Ok, this is not how I remember things, although that itself is not always reliable. I'll check tomorrow and most likely confirm what Hugh is saying.

To clarify, Hugh, if I were to feed phono L/R into the input I should be able to take balanced signals out if both XLR and TRS Jack on the output. Is that the scenario?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Mike Shand wrote:... on the bottom there is a schematic, which appears to indicate that one pair is wired as TRS balanced while the other is wired as TS unbalanced. However, there is no indication which sockets are which!!

Both pairs are wired the same; the schematic is just showing a typical application! I agree it's not the most helpful of schematics!

I discovered that all 4 sockets are wired with tip and ring across the respective transformer winding, while the sleeves on each side are joined together

Yes, this ensures that both inputs and outputs can accommodate balanced or unbalanced connections equally well. But there is no continuity of ground across input/output.

There are also a sprinkling of resistors, whose purpose I could not fathom.

They are there to ensure the transformer has a defined load to control any wayward HF resonances.

...and despite the Input and output labelling, it makes no difference which is which, as I had always supposed!

I have found a schematic (not block diagram) for the CB2 and there is Zobel CR network across the output. Therefore using it 'the wrong way' is likely to throw the response all over the shop depending upon source and sink impedances as you say Hugh.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 pm

shufflebeat wrote:To clarify, Hugh, if I were to feed phono L/R into the input I should be able to take balanced signals out if both XLR and TRS Jack on the output. Is that the scenario?

Yes, that's perfectly fine. It's just a simple parallel split. Requires reasonably high input impedances on the two balanced destinations, of course, but that's not usually a problem if you're feeding line inputs.
Hugh Robjohns

Next