You are here

Hopefully repairable damaged speaker?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Hopefully repairable damaged speaker?

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 am

Dear Anyone.

OK, first of all Mods, sorry for 2 posts in 2 forums in 2 minutes, I am NOT SPAMMING!!

I've got a pair of ADM-10 speakers, don't think the make comes into this, not sure what does. Anyway.

The right one's got VERY NOTICEABLY fainter. I'm doing the Windows balance trick, moving the slider all the way to the right and tapping it till both sides sound in stereo, but I'm having to have the volume on the actual speakers virtually on full blast to do this. The output doesn't SOUND anywhere near full blast because it's skewed so far to the faint side but the knob itself is. If I centred the sound in Windows, the left one would sound rave-loud, the right one would be virtually silent.

I've got zero techie knowledge about speakers. I don't know why one suddenly decided to go faint - but as it's a totally even faintness, I'm HOPING there might be an easy fix. They're powered speakers, by the way, there's no pre-amp (or whatever you call it, be gentle with me and techie terms!) I just plug 'em in the mains and into the computer.

Anyone know what might be causing this and if it's an easy fix I can do? Or would it be something I'd need to pay someone else to do? I got them for £170 in a sale and had to have heart-pills after spending all that dough at once!! (JK 'bout the pills, not the price!)

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Re: Hopefully repairable damaged speaker?

Postby resistorman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:38 am

Reverse the signal wires. Does the problem stay the same or move?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 am

Dear Resistorman (et al!)

If I swap the jackplug wires over (I presume that's what you meant by 'resistor wires', if you meant something else you'll have to tell me because I'd never heard that expression before) and the LEFT speaker immediately got WAAY louder.

Now this is where I hit a nightmare of 'lefts' and 'rights' so bear with me (sorry!!) As Windows is panned virtually full RIGHT in its internal settings (as that's the weak side when the jackplugs are the usual ways around) and I've swapped the wires over, haven't I now got most of the panned signal going to the LEFT speaker so naturally it should be louder? Which is indeed what's happening.

If I've got that wrong some'ow, tell me and I'll do whatever you tell me next. Just to reiterate - I swapped the jackplug wires and the loudness very noticeably hit the left speaker. The RIGHT speaker was virtually silent. I tried centering the signal and nothing changed - LEFT speaker blasting, RIGHT speaker virtually silent (couldn't be heard because of the loudness of the LEFT speaker.)

Am I missing something in the above? Serious question, that, if it's dead obvious to you, it's sure not to me. If it helps, if I plug headphones into the same socket the Windows centering works.

Yours puzzledly

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:49 am

SORRY - consider this an edit of the above, dunno if this is relevant or not but it might be.

The plug and wire and all the power is going into the RIGHT speaker. The LEFT speaker feeds OFF the right speaker somehow - not sure how that bit works but the left speaker's joined to the right by 2 wires going into little screw-sockets. They go into little holes, you screw the tops down and that holds them in place. They're in the sockets correctly - I THINK. Cos Mr. Memory here's just had another thought (the first one got lonely!)

This just got weird (to me) but might tell you something. Those wires joining the RIGHT to the LEFT speaker going into the little screw sockets? I just swapped those around too. Now LOGICALLY to me, as I've swapped the jackplug wires around AND the joining wires around, surely I should be back to square one panning-wise? Pan right to take the signal right, pan left to take the signal left.

I'm not. I'm now panning RIGHT to take the signal LEFT even though I've swapped the jackplugs going into the computer around AND the wires going into the left speaker around. Why doesn't swapping BOTH sets of wires around take you back to square one, right to go right, left to go left?

Please, when you explain this to me, imagine I'm about 8 years old. I'm not following this one at all. If you use any kind of jargon I still won't follow it, trust me. How does it know the signal's still reversed even though I've swapped BOTH sets of wires around!?! (As in there's one socket in the left colourcoded red, one yellow, I've got the yellow in the red, red in yellow right now though I'm gonna swap it all back again so I can use the things!)

Going to try leaving the LEFT side wrong ways round and swapping the jackplugs back again just to totally confuse myself....

OK. Leaving the LEFT side wrong ways around and swapping the jackplugs back DOES take me back to square one (panning left and right back to normal!) Phew!

But the RIGHT speaker is still very, very quiet and Windows panning is back virtually totally right to compensate.

Sorry for the length of this.

Yours respectfully

Hope it all helps you know what's wrong

Yours apologetically again

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 am

Putting "ADM-10" into Google gets me here> http://ksaudio.com/ks-digital/adm10/adm10.html

Are those your speakers? If so you have done very well for £170! But I doubt very much if that is the case. I cannot see such a monitor setup using the cheap technique of running a second speaker as a passive device using two core cable! Please re check the model number.

For now, forget about the passive speaker 'on the wire'. Does the powered monitor deliver clean, loud sound? If so the fault is either in the passive speaker or the second amplifier channel in the primary speaker.

It would be foolish of me, would it not, to ask if you have a test meter? (but bloody get one!) so to test the passive speaker, albeit crudely, use a 1.5V cell. Connect the wires from the speaker to the cell (AA, AAA, don't matter) You should get a health "crack" and maybe a thump. You might even see the bass cone move in or out. If that works it pretty much proves the speaker is at least working to a degree and the fault is, I am afraid the power amplifier in the main speaker. IF you had any kind of test meter you could run the speaker and measure the signal that is supposed to drive the other one.

Now, I am going to do a bit of 'evangelizing' here! You have professed a complete lack of knowledge of things technical. It does not have to stay that way. You will find you will forever be frustrated and stalled in you progress in sound recording unless you get some basic electrical smarts.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:01 pm

What are the inputs on the speakers, are they both on one speaker? Like Dave says I'm pretty sure the Adam's don't have both amps in one speaker so knowing exactly what they are would help, and also, do you have a an audio interface or do you plug the speakers directly into the computers line/headphone out.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:09 pm

I think you should be looking at speakers from Reloop guys.

They have an ADM series that has some speakers systems of the 'all electronics in one cab and a speaker cable to the other passive cab' variety.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Sounds likely, Reloop only currently list a pair of ADM-5 speakers* which have a master speaker and a passive slave. No specification on when is L and which is R. They use unbalanced phono inputs.

Perhaps the OP can confirm his speakers are similar?

* https://www.reloop.com/reloop-adm-5-pair
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:What are the inputs on the speakers, are they both on one speaker? Like Dave says I'm pretty sure the Adam's don't have both amps in one speaker so knowing exactly what they are would help, and also, do you have a an audio interface or do you plug the speakers directly into the computers line/headphone out.

Sam, that link does not take you to "Adam" monitors who we both know well. The company is "ADM" and I had never heard of them but the stuff looks good? (I would however take "122dB spl" with handful of NaCl mind!)

I have some sympathy with the OP but not that much, buying anything you have no experience of from a 'stranger' is always a risk.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:37 pm

ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:What are the inputs on the speakers, are they both on one speaker? Like Dave says I'm pretty sure the Adam's don't have both amps in one speaker so knowing exactly what they are would help, and also, do you have a an audio interface or do you plug the speakers directly into the computers line/headphone out.

Sam, that link does not take you to "Adam" monitors who we both know well. The company is "ADM" and I had never heard of them but the stuff looks good? (I would however take "122dB spl" with handful of NaCl mind!)

I have some sympathy with the OP but not that much, buying anything you have no experience of from a 'stranger' is always a risk.

Dave.

Sorry, my bad, lazy reading of the post and lazy typing.... :P
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 pm

Dear Everyone.

I didn't buy it from a stranger, I went into a shop selling disco equipment, asked for speakers I could use to mix with, told them my budget was about £200 and that's the ones they sold me.

As far as inputs goes, I'm going to describe the backs of both speakers and hope that's enough to help you all. The RIGHT speaker's got the power cord in it, that plugs into the socket. That's also the side that's become faint. The LEFT speaker doesn't have any power cord, it's just got two thin wires going into two screw-top connectors, for want of any more technical description! They've got metal lids that screw down. The wires go into little holes in the base of the connectors, think of them as tiny bolts with holes in. So I put the wires in the holes and screw the tops down onto them. That's the LEFT speaker which still sounds loud, or would do if I didn't have Windows panned so far over to the right to compensate for the other one sounding so quiet. The shop I bought them from won't repair them, it's claiming not to have heard of them despite me still having a 2 year old receipt.

I seem to be getting away with them as they are, it's just if there IS a way to fix them I'm happy to have a go at it at my own risk and without - promise - blaming you guys if the fix goes awry! That's the entire setup I know about, there's no point in asking me any techie questions unless it's something I can see because I don't know much about speakers. Electricals in general - yes.

Having SAID the above, I know the basics of speakers is they take a really tiny electrical signal, boost it and vibrate a diaphragm with it to generate the sound. The bit that's doing the boosting is the 'amplifier'. I don't think the amplifier's bust because the left one's working unless it's got its own amplifier, not sure on that one. So what else could be bust? I'm game to unscrew the front panel on the right one - with it unplugged of course - if someone could tell me what to do/look for once I have.

Does that help?

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Sorry, just wanted to say I've found them for people to look at if that helps suggest fixing ideas. They're HERE - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reloop-Monitor ... B0043DWKJ4

Except they're £40 cheaper, but oh well, mine were from a shop. Those are my actual speakers.

Hope that helps.

Yours respectfully again

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:15 pm

Ok, so the amplifier section is in the RH speaker, but it's still possible that one channel could have gone down.
Remind me, if you swap the input jacks around, does the low volume stay in the RH speaker (indicating it is a speaker problem) or swap to the left speaker (indicating the problem is further up the chain)?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:37 pm

I am pretty sure the amplifier in the powered speaker is faulty and no, don't go in there, nothing you will be able to do and there is mains voltage points exposed.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_e3.5.htm

I heard the above in a hi fi shop a month ago and was quite impressed I am considering a pair for my son in France.

Cut your losses and get setup with something that works properly.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby JRC1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 am

If you didn’t buy them long ago (check the guarantee or warantee) just take them back and get your money back
JRC1