You are here

Bluetooth speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Bluetooth speakers

Postby Ramirez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 am

Can anyone recommend a half-decent rechargeable wireless bluetooth speaker for radio/podcasts/music in the kitchen and shed etc.?
Ideally one that doesn’t sound silly, and if it could be of use to cross-check mixes then all the better.

The Kew Labs K1 that Paul White reviewed in the mag seemed ideal, but I can’t find it anywhere.

Thanks
Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:06 am

I've got a KS Hive. Good little unit I reckon, long battery life, good BT connection, and a good grot-box checker.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 am

I haven’t heard anything that sounds so incredibly good as the Mini Rig speakers, they are, in fact so good, it’s obscene.
There is no contest, you could use a pair of these for quite serious monitoring duties.
I was in my garage in the summer, a friend had a pair outside, I didn’t know he was there, I actually thought a band was playing in my neighbours garden! the volume they are capable of too is stunning.
Or, if you’re into organs you could get one of these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfS8-wdskTQ

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:24 am

Arpangel wrote:I haven’t heard anything that sounds so incredibly good as the Mini Rig speakers, they are, in fact so good, it’s obscene.
There is no contest, you could use a pair of these for quite serious monitoring duties.

Are you talking these things - https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers/bluetoo ... gJM7_D_BwE ?

Looks handy.

Thanks Drew, I’ll have a look at those too.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 am

Ramirez wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I haven’t heard anything that sounds so incredibly good as the Mini Rig speakers, they are, in fact so good, it’s obscene.

Are you talking these things - https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers/bluetoo ... gJM7_D_BwE ?

Looks handy.

Thanks Drew, I’ll have a look at those too.

Yes, they are the ones, don’t let their diminutive appearance fool you, these things are just beyond, they have loads of detail, a very well balanced sound, and go really loud.
Try them, you may not like them, but that probably won’t be the case! I can’t think of one reason to dislike them!
A pair is quite expensive, but just one sounds incredible, if you're happy with mono.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:51 am

I'm constantly amazed at the sound you can get from small speakers now.
I gave a gift of an Audio Pro Addon T3 to someone a few years back after looking for something small that could be used both as a bluetooth speaker and to be connected to a synth.

There is no substitute for visiting shops to hear these things, in my case it used to be Dixons in airports when I had time to spare.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Andy McBain » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:35 pm

I have a Mini Rig 3 - very very entertaining, solid piece of kit. Made in the UK too.

Perhaps a touch overblown on the low end for some things - which makes sense as I think they were marketed for the electronic music crowd. But if kitchen / campfire raves are your thing then you'll love it. I quite fancy getting a second for a stereo pair!
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Andy McBain wrote:I have a Mini Rig 3 - very very entertaining, solid piece of kit. Made in the UK too.

Perhaps a touch overblown on the low end for some things - which makes sense as I think they were marketed for the electronic music crowd. But if kitchen / campfire raves are your thing then you'll love it. I quite fancy getting a second for a stereo pair!

Me too, a stereo pair would be just amazing. They are very open sounding, and transparent considering what they are, don’t you think?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster