You are here

Bluetooth speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Or place an order from a Norwegian supplier before 11pm tomorrow evening...
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12984
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:32 pm

This is where Ii got it from (went to the physical Oslo shop, but same price as online) - 47% discount. Not sure they do international shipping, but if they do, even with shipping could be a good deal (it’s small and relatively lightweight).

Code: Select all
 https://soundgarden.no/geneva/127467/geneva-touring-xs-bærbar-bluetooth-høyttaler--rød
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6976
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby wireman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:48 pm

CS70 wrote:Hopefully it’ll come on sale there as well. Or worth a trip to Cornwall I suppose! :)

I can't think of a COVID rules exception to justify the 9 hour drive. If I change my name to Dominik Cummings it might work...

There is a seller in Germany (around £90) but the status of cross border imports in the next week is a bit up in the air — I would not like to pay VAT twice. There were some UK sellers discounting but they are out of stock.
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:42 pm

Well there is the one used I've found here in Oslo,

https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html ... =183295650

apparently unopened and still wrapped in plastic. NOK690 is about 60 GBP according to Google. Obviously you would have no warranty (and for the record, I have no idea who this guy is :D )

I don't know of the VAT rules next week :( but it would be no trouble for me to contact the guy and see if I can buy it for you and then mail it to your address, the only trouble would be to find a cheap way for you to transfer money when you receive it (and of course no clue about the postage cost, but I can find out).

Probably you're better off with something local, but just say the word if you don't find anything better, always happy to help a fellow musician.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6976
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 pm

VAT rules aren't changing for person to person sales within the EU. But I'm not sure about Norway to UK?
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12984
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby ajay_m » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:08 am

Or just use a powered speaker you like with a cheap Bluetooth receiver. This lets you pick any compact monitor speaker you like and Bluetooth enable it.
ajay_m
Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:25 am

ajay_m wrote:Or just use a powered speaker you like with a cheap Bluetooth receiver. This lets you pick any compact monitor speaker you like and Bluetooth enable it.

Actually I'm not so interested in the Bluetooth and want 3.5mm but Bluetooth speakers have batteries which goes nicely with a laptop that has a battery. Monitors/PAs with batteries are pretty expensive and can be large but to be honest I have not looked into that much.

I suppose an active speaker that was accessible over USB and looked to the computer like an audio output channel would also work (does that exist?).
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:32 am

blinddrew wrote:VAT rules aren't changing for person to person sales within the EU. But I'm not sure about Norway to UK?

Good point. Shouldn't change either. The main issue is that a shop will remove the origin VAT (and customs will then add the destination VAT on arrival, I suppose) while a private can't... in the land of the Vikings VAT is 25% so a significant amount for larger purchases.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6976
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:36 am

CS70 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:VAT rules aren't changing for person to person sales within the EU. But I'm not sure about Norway to UK?

Good point. Shouldn't change either. The main issue is that a shop will remove the origin VAT (and customs will then add the destination VAT on arrival, I suppose) while a private can't... in the land of the Vikings VAT is 25% so a significant amount for larger purchases.

I thought that the non-UK shop should remove any origin VAT and charge UK VAT which they declare having already registered with HMRC. So my concern is that you purchase now and the rettailer does not do this correctly and then HMRC wants the VAT again on import. I think import VAT was to be abolished for low value goods (under the current duty threshold).
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:47 am

wireman wrote:I thought that the non-UK shop should remove any origin VAT and charge UK VAT which they declare having already registered with HMRC.

It may be different per country. When I buy from abroad (say the UK), once I set my shipping location, the website simply removes the UK VAT, and then I get charged the Norwegian VAT either by the shipping company (UPS etc) or by the Norwegian Post. Could be that it's different the other way around.

So my concern is that you purchase now and the rettailer does not do this correctly and then HMRC wants the VAT again on import. I think import VAT was to be abolished for low value goods (under the current duty threshold).

It should be possible to see at checkout - in case if an international checkout is allowed by a shop, of course. The Norwegian system is different than the EU (Norway not being in the EU, but in the EAA) so it may work as you say if you buy for example from Germany.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6976
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:36 pm

wireman wrote:
CS70 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:VAT rules aren't changing for person to person sales within the EU. But I'm not sure about Norway to UK?

Good point. Shouldn't change either. The main issue is that a shop will remove the origin VAT (and customs will then add the destination VAT on arrival, I suppose) while a private can't... in the land of the Vikings VAT is 25% so a significant amount for larger purchases.

I thought that the non-UK shop should remove any origin VAT and charge UK VAT which they declare having already registered with HMRC. So my concern is that you purchase now and the rettailer does not do this correctly and then HMRC wants the VAT again on import.
Judging by that doc that you shared a couple of days ago this ^^^ is what happens if you're buying from somewhere that is registered for VAT in the UK. If not then you would have to pay the vat on import and then go about reclaiming it.

wireman wrote: I think import VAT was to be abolished for low value goods (under the current duty threshold).
Hmmm. My reading was that this was disappearing entirely and that VAT would be payable on everything, even below £15.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12984
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm

blinddrew wrote:
wireman wrote: I think import VAT was to be abolished for low value goods (under the current duty threshold).
Hmmm. My reading was that this was disappearing entirely and that VAT would be payable on everything, even below £15.

I was not clear, I don't mean that exemption but the new rules apply below the much higher duty theshold.
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Sorry, gotcha! :thumbup:
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12984
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:09 pm

CS70 wrote:Just today, after a couple days of market research, I got myself a Geneva Touring XS.

Possible Dumb Question alert but, are those little.Geneva boxes mono or stereo?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Bluetooth speakers

Postby forumuser840717 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 pm

Crookwood Sound Buckets are surprisingly good.

Ah. Seems they've gained a new website of their own since I got mine. SoundBuckets.com
forumuser840717
Regular
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:20 pm

PreviousNext