You are here

In-ears/radio systems for studio personal monitor mix?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

In-ears/radio systems for studio personal monitor mix?

Postby Fishnish » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:12 pm

Mrs Fishnish plays bass and sings. She's taken to wearing headphones (Beyerdynamic 770s) in our home studio band sessions so she can have a personal cue mix (basically more drums, bass + vox, less of everything else) via the Control Room in Cubase. All is good, she likes it, except for the fact that the headphone cable feels draggy, wraps itself around the base of her swivel chair and catches on the backrest.

My suggestion to sit on a non spinny stool without castors and lap a bit of the cable over her knee, or at the very least sit still, wasn't too well received. Now she's investigating wireless heaphones.

Having discounted "normal" bluetooth headphone jobbys due to potential latency issues she's looking at wireless radio systems. It's only for use in a small studio so my assumption is that a super high spec transmission sytem isn't going to be needed.

So, thinking about the actual headphones/ earpieces, the questions are:

1. Any recommendations for some decent IEM earbud thingys that handle bass well and don't cost the earth? She has to use earpieces sometimes in her day job but despite them being custom moulded fitted ones, has experienced problems getting them to sit or stay in her ears well so is a bit wary of, although not totally averse to, going down that route when spending her own money. Also, fully sealed maybe isn't a great idea anyway, there is already a bit of a communication issue with her using the current closed backed headphones, and setting up a talkback system seems a bit overkill when we're in the same room.

2. What about bleed issues when recording? Would "Walkman Mice" as she calls them nibble their way into vocal takes? She doesn't have her cue mix crazy loud, so probably not?

1. Do the radio packs commonly used with in-ears have enough power to drive regular headphones such as her DT-770s? (They're 250 ohm BTW, we have plenty other headphones but she likes those) My guess is not, but if that were an option, she could perhaps re-cable some with a light, short cable to the radio pack.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.
Fishnish
Regular

Re: In-ears/radio systems for studio personal monitor mix?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Have you thought about hanging the cable down from above rather than trailing on the ground?
I tried this the first time a couple of weeks ago and was immediately embarrassed that i'd never thought of it before.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Fishnish » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:Have you thought about hanging the cable down from above rather than trailing on the ground?
I tried this the first time a couple of weeks ago and was immediately embarrassed that i'd never thought of it before.

Wow never thought of that! And our room has a highish vaulted ceiling with cross beams at a very convenient height. That might work...
Fishnish
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:49 pm

Is the Good Lady Wife using a cable to connect her bass? Does she use a guitar strap? Do you have access to velcro ties?

Problemo solvido, as they don't say anywhere.

Also, if you promise not to tell anyone I recommended a Beringer product I might mention the P2 which clips to a belt or strap and can be fed by a long XLR cable which can be velcro'd to instrument cable as above.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CH4
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Fishnish » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:14 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Is the Good Lady Wife using a cable to connect her bass? Does she use a guitar strap? Do you have access to velcro ties?

Problemo solvido, as they don't say anywhere.

Also, if you promise not to tell anyone I recommended a Beringer product I might mention the P2 which clips to a belt or strap and can be fed by a long XLR cable which can be velcro'd to instrument cable as above.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CH4

Ha, yes! When I'm recording guitars myself I'll often run a long headphone extension along with my my guitar cable and tuck it through the strap so my cans plug in near the strap button, and I have trained myself to spin around in a certain directon only, so the whole thing doesn't tangle up. But it's taken me about 40 years to do so!

However, saying "I do it like this" or "just tidy up your cables a bit" isn't usually a sensible option in this scenario. Before starting on bass she was a lifelong brass player and is more than capable of blugeoning me with a flugelhorn. We live in a remote area so it could be years before I'm missed.

Whilst she's at work today I may just try re-rigging her cables and see if that helps.

Notwithstanding all this, I'm still curious on her behalf as to what folk might recommend as a good set of earbuds/IEMs for bass players. I'm not convinced the wireless element would actually make that a big difference here, although she says it is the cables and not the headphones themselves being bulky that's the issue. Something light and portable that does a good job could be useful.

And I should come clean - I too have used the P2, when doing live stuff. Handy things indeed.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Good IEMs for a bassist? Good IEMs for anyone who wants to hear some bass in their mix: Sennheiser IE 40 Pro

As life-changing for my live rig as K701s were for my studio.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Fishnish » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

The Elf wrote:Good IEMs for a bassist? Good IEMs for anyone who wants to hear some bass in their mix: Sennheiser IE 40 Pro

As life-changing for my live rig as K701s were for my studio.

Thanks, these seem to be very well liked by many!
Fishnish
Regular