You are here

Rupert Neve RNDI plus Toneking Mini II attenuator for recording my amp direct?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Rupert Neve RNDI plus Toneking Mini II attenuator for recording my amp direct?

Postby russianpolecat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi, I have a Vox AC15HTV which has a 16 ohmn Celestion Blue speaker. I also have an RNDI box for bass and electric. I currently reamp with a Palmer DACCAPO. However, I'm going to have to try something different for an apartment move because obviously I can't crank the amp then, even on the 7.5 setting it's going to be too loud. So, I've been looking at load boxes and attenuators and such like, for direct out recording to an IR on a computer. Because I already have the RNDI, which has the balanced line out, I already have part of what I need, although I've never actually used it for that purpose, just as a DI. My question is this, even though the Toneking Mini II has a line out, and at it's lowest setting can be used as a load box as well as attenuator, would I have any issue going from my 8 ohmn speaker out on the Vox (presumably this would automatically overide the combo speaker, or should I unplug that?) to the RNDI, and then to the Toneking Mini II (which is 8 ohmn)? It's a bit of a faff, but my guess is that the line out on the Neve will be better than the one on the Toneking because it's a balanced. This type of approach is all a bit new to me, so any advice welcome.

Ta!

Thanks,

Chris
russianpolecat
Regular