You are here

Can the MixPre ii record volume automation?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can the MixPre ii record volume automation?

Postby claz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:04 pm

I did not see this facility in the manual, but I'm also not sure that I'm using the correct terminology.

In essence, if I've recorded a track, does the MixPre then allow to me adjust levels as I'm listening, and record those adjustments?

If that facility is not built in, would it be possible and (in)advisable to output a track from the MixPre and record to itself in another channel, adjusting the level on the fly?

I ask at the outset of putting together a home studio that aims to be as computer-free as possible. I'm attracted to the MixPre for its computerless overdubbing workflow and mixing capabilities. But even with minimal processing, I imagine I'll need some way to adjust levels manually.

Thanks for any suggestions!
claz
New here

Re: Can the MixPre ii record volume automation?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:17 am

I don't know (I own a competitor to the Mixpre machines rather than the beast itself) but I'd be very surprised if they did include mix automation. Really they are designed as recorders for use outside the studio, where the recordings are transferred to a more capable editing solution in the studio later. I think trying to base a home studio round one would be a mistake. There are better devices out there for the task, for instance the Zoom Livetrak machines, if you're determined to stay clear of computers.

Why do you want to avoid computers, may I ask?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby ore_terra » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:15 am

I guess you can always play with preamp gains :shh:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:40 am

claz wrote:In essence, if I've recorded a track, does the MixPre then allow to me adjust levels as I'm listening, and record those adjustments?

The MixPre is really a modern take on an old school multitrack recorder and mixer.
You can certainly adjust the levels of recorded tracks as you bounce them to a new track, either individually, or as a complete or partial mix.

But there is no fader automation facility. You have to do adjust the faders manually, in real time, and if you mess it up you have to go back and try again -- just like the good old days! (But without the tape hiss and generation loss!)

If that works for you, then fine,you can build up mixes in the traditional way. But if you're looking for real-fader automation where you can store, replay, and re-tweak fader movements to build up a mix then I'm not sure the MixPre -- superb though it is -- is really the right tool for what you want to do.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Are you using the Musician plugin in for the MixPre II?

According to the SD webpage about the plugin: "Mixing – During recording or playback, create a mix using fader knobs, pans, solos, mutes, and effects" and "Route any input to any track, reducing the need to re-plug inputs", so quite a lot, but as Hugh says, not everything.

I have a MixPre II and Musician plugin, but haven't tried to do that.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby ronmac » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:34 pm

See page 28 of the manual..

REMIX Allows you to simultaneously play back a file and record a new L/R mix while adjusting the gains with the fader knobs. To remix a recording, turn on Remix in the Record menu. Select a file from the File List that has isolated tracks and select Remix.

This does not alter the original track, but does allow a remix of the stereo LR track.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby claz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks for these responses -- it sounds like the MixPre has precisely the capabilities I'm looking for. I suppose "automation" was the wrong word, but the on-the-fly recording of levels adjustment was what I meant.

As for why no computer, the reason is simply that, for me, staying out of the box is pure fun! It keeps me connected to the music and my ears.

Cheers!
claz
New here