You are here

Finger drumming midi pads recommendations?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Finger drumming midi pads recommendations?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:21 pm

I’ve been using the Akai from new for Just over a couple of years , seem to recall there was some negative comments back then too

This was one of the vids that put me off the Akai a bit..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILHvLxW0KaA
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby wdsteele » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:17 pm

I think we probably had similar reservations , I’d only say that the video is a far cry from how I finger drum , so the more firm Akai works perfect for me and is a very solid piece of kit in the flesh .
wdsteele
Regular

Postby dpete » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:55 pm

I got an mk3 mikro, around June 1. My main use has been with melodics on a Mac book, working on improving my rhythm. I wondered about it, at first, it is sensitive and of course the software does have to get sorted out. However, in general I've come to the conclusion that most issues have more to do with my touch than any hardware or software issue. In NI mode I've never had an issue. In midi mode, I've occasionally had to "pull the plug" to reset. However on those occasions, there has been more than one program in use (sequentially) and more than one midi device, over a couple of days. So, who knows what's to blame. So, in summary, the usual teething problems, but it seems to work well after that is all sorted out.

As with all this stuff, keep the receipt.

PS - Melodics has been very prompt, patient, and helpful with the email tech support.
dpete
Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks WD and DP, most interesting.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby RobinC » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Have you tried the Atom?

No not the atom. Have an akai mpd 218 upgraded with fat pads from Mpcstuff.com. That’s good but is very sensitive to the position of the sensor sheet and how hard the screws holding it together are tightened. Have tried multiple Roli Lightpad Ms in a 2 x 2 configuration , not good. Also have iRig Pads, served me ok but you can’t play with any subtlety, you have to bash the pads.
RobinC
Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm

I’m trying to use the pads on my Arturia minilab controller currently which is pretty frustrating if you’re not playing slowly and heavily.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous