You are here

Voice recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Voice recording

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:14 am

I recently recorded a rather long lecture with a .wav voice recorder. Not realising at the time it was set to voice activated.
Long story short I seem to have an hour and a half of stop start voice that seems to be partially all mixed together with some pieces of voice, not in the correct place. Has me stumped
Paul B

Re: Voice recording

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am

Depending on the recorder, it will either be one long file with interrupted/disjointed audio (this is most likely), or multiple files for each individual recorded section. If the latter the files will have ascending file numbers and they may also be timestamped. Either way, most DAWs will be able to reassemble them.

However, the nature of a voice-activated recorder is that some of the audio will inherently be missing. Ideally that missing audio would just be the longer silences, but in reality there will inevitably also be some missing speech -- and that may well give a disjointed and confusing result. How much speech will be missing depends on the detection threshold of the machine and the incoming level of received audio, but it could be anything from seconds to minutes!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound