You are here

Samson G-Track Pro boom arm attachment?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Samson G-Track Pro boom arm attachment?

Postby truongio » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to look for a way to attach my Samson G-Track Pro to a "normal" boom arm without a shock mount (SP04 is not available in my country). I saw this:

I'm a bit unclear about what the thing between the microphone and the boom arm is called and what to search for to buy just that attachment.
truongio

Re: Samson G-Track Pro boom arm attachment?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi truongio and welcome :)

Microphones and related hardware are not my thing, but there are plenty of knowledgable folk here and I'm sure someone will come along presently to help out.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 pm

The bit ringed in your pic would usually come with the mic, there are generic 'mic clips'* for the likes of stage mics easily available but large diaphragm mics are a bit less standardised so there are a few different options. The thread it screws to is almost universal, there are two common standards ⅝" 27 TPI is mostly used in the US and ⅜" 16 TPI in Europe. Most clips are the US thread but usually come with a suitable adapter.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby truongio » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 pm

The bit I ringed didn't come with my microphone and I don't know exactly what thread I need to attach it to my microphone. I think I need something similar to a Neumann SG2 but cheaper and that fits my Samson G Track Pro.
truongio

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 pm

Right, I understand, did you buy the mic new or used? Either way a call to the seller would make sense as the threads around the outside of the XLR socket are likely to vary from make to make. Failing that a call or email to the Samson distributors in your country would be my next step.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........